Silverton Train / Animas Beta? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-30-2016   #1
boof splash

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Silverton Train / Animas Beta?

I'm looking for a little bit of info for a trip I'd like to do in a couple weeks. I'll be in Telluride for the bluegrass fest and I'll have a few more days off work afterward. I'd like to drive over to Silverton and run the Upper Animas.
  • Does anyone know if Ophir Pass is open?
  • Where might you find this online?
  • Can I catch the train in Rockwood and take it back to Silverton?
  • How much does that cost?
  • Do I need to buy a ticket ahead of time or do I need to bring cash?
  • When I looked at the Durango train website it appears that the last train leaves Durango around 10:30 am. How long does it take the train to get to Rockwood?
  • How many river miles is it from Silverton to Needleton? Can I paddle this stretch if I put on at 5pm?
  • How long is it from Needleton to Rockwood? Average paddling time (in mid June)?
  • Has anyone ever combined the Upper A with hiking the 14ers in Chicago Basin? (this is my main objective) Any trip reports out there?

kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
1 and 2. road closures: San Juan National Forest- Recreation

3, 4, 5 and 6. you can catch the train at rockwood to silverton in the AM. it cost $89 and you must have a reservation. your boat and gear is another $50. see the timetable http://www.durangotrain.com/sites/de...with_dates.pdf

7. about 11 or 12ish miles. not too bright to put on at 5pm
8. another 12 or so. should take a couple hours.
9. yes of course. how many days do you have? it is a 6 mile hike from needleton into chicago basin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuskv View Post
I'm looking for a little bit of info for a trip I'd like to do in a couple weeks. I'll be in Telluride for the bluegrass fest and I'll have a few more days off work afterward. I'd like to drive over to Silverton and run the Upper Animas.
  • Does anyone know if Ophir Pass is open?
  • Where might you find this online?
  • Can I catch the train in Rockwood and take it back to Silverton?
  • How much does that cost?
  • Do I need to buy a ticket ahead of time or do I need to bring cash?
  • When I looked at the Durango train website it appears that the last train leaves Durango around 10:30 am. How long does it take the train to get to Rockwood?
  • How many river miles is it from Silverton to Needleton? Can I paddle this stretch if I put on at 5pm?
  • How long is it from Needleton to Rockwood? Average paddling time (in mid June)?
  • Has anyone ever combined the Upper A with hiking the 14ers in Chicago Basin? (this is my main objective) Any trip reports out there?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #3

Durango, Colorado
Heard a rumor that the train is no longer accepting private boats, only commercial. This was just second hand info, but would be worth calling and inquiring.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016   #4
boof splash

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Thank you for the info. $140 to take the train seems steep. I'm probably just going to paddle the rockwood box, hike out, and then hitch back up to Silverton. I'm looking at 2.5 or 3 days, in a kayak.
kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #5

cedar city, Utah
The train got expensive about ten years ago. That said, they still offer a discount for the route from Silverton which is only $75 after the historic tax. It also includes a $10 credit for freight but that might only be for backpacks. Its worth calling them to find out.

Quote:
Standard-class Fares:

May 7 - October 29, 2016
Out of Durango:
Adults (age 12 and over) $95.23* Child (age 4-11) $58.85*
Fares are the same whether using one way or round trip.
*Includes 7% Historic Preservation Fee.

Out of Silverton:
Adults (age 12 and over) $74.90* Child (age 4-11) $53.50*
Fares are the same whether using one way or round trip.
*Includes 7% Historic Preservation Fee.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm not sure what the deal is with using the train for shuttle because we never use the train- cumbersome, expensive, etc. I would agree that you are better off just paddling then hitching.

Re- paddling times, it all depends on the water level. The whole upper A can be paddled in anywhere from 3 to 10 hours on the water depending on the level. If the weather is hot, it will be high. It sounds like you are planning to solo, which could be pretty intense at high water, especially if you do not know the run.

Needleton is about half way through the run. You could definitely make it to Needleton putting on at 5PM. You can definitely hike the 14ers in Chicago basin from Needleton, but there may still be a lot of snow up there in mid-June.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animas