Shoulder Problems and Rolling - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2009   #1

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Shoulder Problems and Rolling

A few years ago before getting into kayaking I dislocated my shoulder snowboarding. After learning a decently solid roll in a pool and getting in the river(s) (Shoshone, Roaring Fork, Salmon) I've noticed this shoulder issue might be a problem... There's no consistancy to it, but every once and awhile my shoulder comes REALLY close to coming out when hitting my roll. If this happens, I typically give it another go, hopefully hit it, but if I feel my shoulder sliding out again, this tends to lead to a swim because that feeling is pretty awful. I know the first answer is probably to learn my offside roll, which I'm working on (pretty hard!). This other roll post got me thinking.... are there alternate rolls that take pressure away from your shoulder? Is this a common kayak-associated problem? What can I do!?! I love boating and getting out so far but this injury sucks and I don't want it to hold me back from really getting into the good stuff. Counterpoint: I can't get into 'the good stuff' without being confident in a bomb-proof roll......

Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009   #2

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Assuming your shoulder came out on the front of where it is suppsoed to live, and that that is where it feels like it wants to come out again, then a C to C roll should keep it safe I would think. If you have only dislocated once in your life you may be able to avoid surgery if you do not dislocate again. If it has happened more than once, and you are young (under 50... LOL) you should maybe suck it up and consider a surgical repair.
melissawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
You need to clean up your roll. Good technique will keep your shoulder safe. You are getting that awful feeling because you are muscling through your roll.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
shoulder injuries

If you dislocated it and have good insurance coverage, I would get an MRI of your shoulder. If you have a significant tear from the initial dislocation, you are putting even more stress on the remaining rotator cuff and surgery is the best option.
On the other hand if it is just a minor tear you may just need to do some serious rotator cuff rehab. I recomend that most kayakers keep some "Therabands" on hand if their shoulder starts acting up. Do you know how to do strenthening of the rotator cuff? I think I actually have a video on U-tube somewhere that I made. I could try to dig up the link.
Dana23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
You need to clean up your roll. Good technique will keep your shoulder safe.
I agree that good technique should theoretically keep you safe, but any extremes of combined external rotation and abduction of an unstable shoulder will lead to more episodes of instability. How many times will you be caught doing a less than perfect technical roll? I would talk to a physical therapist and/or orthopod and discuss other ways to stabilize the shoulder.
ADKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have had shoulder problems, 2 surgeries and I still have had dislocations since my last surgery. However I don't have pain in my shoulder from rolling. I think Glenn is probably right that your technique is off a little bit. The roll is mostly in your hips anyway. Rehab is a must as strong stabilizing muscles in the back will help alot. Going to the doc is probably not a bad idea either.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #7

Man... thinking of surgery sounds like a distant option, but I guess that is what medical insurance is for... I'd love to see some strength-building exercises that may help on that note. Like Glen said, I do know that I need to 'clean up my roll.' Part of the problem is definately muscling through, and I know that I need to keep my movements closer/tighter to my body. It's when I extend my arms that the weight of the roll is transfered to my shoulders. Guess I was primarily wondering if there are all together alternate rolls that take away from the shoulders. Either way, all above comments sound true, and I'm probably just looking for an easy way out *silly me*
Old 06-02-2009   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
I'd love to see some strength-building exercises that may help on that note. Like Glen said, I do know that I need to 'clean up my roll.' Part of the problem is definately muscling through, and I know that I need to keep my movements closer/tighter to my body. It's when I extend my arms that the weight of the roll is transfered to my shoulders.
The problem is that a standard C to C roll (which is probably the safest all around) still puts a lot of stress on an unstable shoulder. Its in that first two parts where you extend and then sweep. That is the typical range to dislocate (with a little pressure.) I just checked to see if I could find my shoulder exercises on google, but couldn't. (Have to talk to my business partner.) But essentially all you do is attach the band to a door knob and hold the other end in your hand with your elbow at 90 degrees and forearm level. You want to have the band at the same level as your elbow. Then facing sideways to the door with your other hand keeping the elbow stable and locked at your side, you then slowly rotate outward keeping forearm level (external rotation) and then change positions so that you are facing sideways the other way to the door pulling in (internal rotation.) Work up to a few reps of 10 both ways. Some basic stretches and thats pretty much it. I'll try to get the video link when I get back to Boulder. Its good stuff to know.
Old 06-02-2009   #9

Thanks Dana - I really appreciate your input! (and everyone else's) I'd love to see your video if you find it too. Hopefully I can work on all these things and with time stregthen my shoulder and solidify a cleaner roll. I'm just glad no one has replied along the lines of, "sorry its a terminal kayak-ending kinda thing" - that was my main fear.
Old 06-02-2009   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
I'm just glad no one has replied along the lines of, "sorry its a terminal kayak-ending kinda thing" - that was my main fear.
Hell no!! I was kayaking with a German last year who tore his right distal biceps tendon at the beginning of a month long trip in California. He couldn't even make the biceps muscle ball up ("show your muscle" move). Those crazy bastards did most of the hard stuff from the Kaweah, Golden Gate, Bald Rock (2 days in a row) etc. with this guy showing no problems at all.
But get it taken care of, definitely. We're all in this for the longterm I hope and the shoulder can really start to deteriorate if early problems aren't addressed. Calcific tendonitis, impingement, frozen shoulder - all not good.