Shoulder Injury Survey Data - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2018   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Shoulder Injury Survey Data

Hi Mountainbuzz,

Back in 2016 I released a survey on my website looking at a number of different factors surrounding shoulder injuries in whitewater kayakers. The original intent was to simply see if injury rates differed among boaters using straight shaft or bentshaft paddles, but the scope quickly grew beyond that. Thanks to all of you that did the survey back then - over 2,700 people responded!

Iíve been sitting on this data for two years now and just donít have the time to do a thorough statistical analysis, so Iím putting it out here into the community.

You can download excel files of the results here: https://www.johnnestler.com/blog/201...-injury-survey

Itís interesting to read the comments made by respondents to get their analysis of what caused the injury, and the steps theyíve taken to prevent those injuries from reoccurring.

- John

nessles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2018   #2

The data you have is excellent and could lead to some interesting insights. Either correlation or regression analyses would make most sense. I am sure you are aware that we cannot establishing causation here- just strength of association or, best case, how much each factor in a series of predictors account for an outcome.

It would not take me long to run the analyses if you could standardize and code the data for me first. What I need is everything in quantitative (numbered) format.

For example, the variable "Shoulder Injury" needs to look like this....

0 = blank/not reported
1 = sprain/strain
2 = subluxation
3 = full dislocation

For the columns that contain free text, you can try and do your best to group similar responses into categories and then assign each category a number. The most important part is to keep good notes and a key to your coding. If you are interested, PM me and I can help you complete this project.
FlyingFluke is offline   Reply With Quote