Shoulder dislocation and reduction in Gore Canyon, video. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-04-2016   #1

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Shoulder dislocation and reduction in Gore Canyon, video.

This happened a couple weeks ago at Tunnel Falls. Thought some may be interested in the scenario and video.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2016   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Good stuff. Glad it went back in.

Most important advice to remember is that reducing a shoulder dislocation takes patience, gentle traction, and time. This isn't something that should cause the provider to sweat unless you're in the ED or the OR. All too often I see or here people talk about using crazy force to try and get these back in. If you do that, you're almost certainly going to cause more harm than good (broken glenoid for example).

Scott
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016   #3

West Richland, Washington
Paddling Since: 2003
Nice work. I was almost a year post op and mine popped out for the first time on the cooper river in April. Best feeling ever when it went back in. To do so, they had me cup my hands around my knee, relax, and slowly lean back. The hike out sucked, but at the top of the gorge I was able get my boat back to the rig and partake in the bootie beer. Hope you have a quick recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
oukr9965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016   #4

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks for posting! My GF dislocated her shoulder and by the time we got to the ER and they had it back in it was 5 hours! The ER docs were having a hard time getting it to go back in due to the swelling. I really think trying to gently put it back right away is a good idea.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Thanks for posting! My GF dislocated her shoulder and by the time we got to the ER and they had it back in it was 5 hours! The ER docs were having a hard time getting it to go back in due to the swelling. I really think trying to gently put it back right away is a good idea.
Only if you can rule out fracture. It's the reason why we image it in the ED prior to reduction.
Old 11-08-2016   #6

little rock, Arkansas
This is something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately. Would surgical components in the shoulder (bone anchors in my case) be a consideration, or if the shoulder is otherwise healthy could this procedure still be reasonably undertaken in the field?
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016   #7

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
This is something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately. Would surgical components in the shoulder (bone anchors in my case) be a consideration, or if the shoulder is otherwise healthy could this procedure still be reasonably undertaken in the field?
Are you asking if it is "safe" to reduce a shoulder dislocation in a patient with a history of a rotator cuff repair? If so, the answer is yes, if you are patient, gentle, and not fractured. While bad stuff can certainly happen, if you are being reduced by an ED doc or orthopedist in the field it's going to be the same reduction that you would get in the hospital, albeit without the sedation.
Old 11-08-2016   #8

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoCSU View Post
Are you asking if it is "safe" to reduce a shoulder dislocation in a patient with a history of a rotator cuff repair? If so, the answer is yes, if you are patient, gentle, and not fractured. While bad stuff can certainly happen, if you are being reduced by an ED doc or orthopedist in the field it's going to be the same reduction that you would get in the hospital, albeit without the sedation.
Yes, that's exactly what I was asking. Thanks.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016   #9

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoCSU View Post
Only if you can rule out fracture. It's the reason why we image it in the ED prior to reduction.
Ok so she chipped the ball but it still needed to be put back in. If its fractured you wouldn't put it back?
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016   #10

Eagle, Colorado
I'm talking about proximal humerus fractures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app