ShoShone this weekend ?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2004   #1

engineer
ShoShone this weekend ??

Semi-Beginner boater looking to share ride, and find paddling partner for a few runs on Shoshone this weekend. I was on this part of the river last weekend. Pretty competent, but should have someone along..

I can shuttle/carry 3 more kayaks.

What are my chance of just showing up and paddling with folks ??

Cheers...

bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
just show

chances are 99% of running into other paddlers. It's the only thing running and there are 4 towns w/in an hour of run.
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004   #3

engineer
I'm new to the sport, and the etiquette. I spend a lot of time rock climbing, and am pretty open to taking beginners up some hairy stuff. With kayaking, not sure if it OK to say" hey can I join in, and if I flip, I have a 75% chance of rolling back and 25% chance of swimming, so gather my crap at the bottom if needed" Get my point...

I'm sure some people are OK with this and some are not... Just trying to figure it out. For the most part, Kayakers are some of the nicest people out of the three sports I participate in (Kayak, climb, MTN-Bike)...

Cheers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004   #4

Shoshone this weekend (Aug 14-15)

FYI. This is CWWA's Colorado weekend so there will definitely be a bunch of people running Shoshone and other runs. The only 'issue' being that to join an official CWWA cruise, which has trip leads and sweeps set-up for safety, you gotta be a CWWA member (www.coloradowhitewater.org). There will be "unofficial" runs going on, too, all weekend. It will likely be a pretty crowded weekend on the Colorado because of all the CWWA folks decending on the area from the Denver area....

Cheers, Juls
juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004   #5

partners

i've found that kayaking (and kayakers) are much more "friendly" than the climbing community - although i'm a non-expert also (kayak), and don't interact too much with experts, it seems that climbers are more into getting away from things, especially other people - there seems to be numerous beginning kayakers, and i've found that in general kayakers are much more willing to give beta, help people out, etc. - it probably has something to do with how much faster kayaking goes, and one run can absorb much more traffic than one route can.

i'd bet that there are probably 10 times as many people that can boat III/IV than can pull 5.10/5.11.

ps - if you make it out to shoshone, i've heard there are some quality routes at the no-name exit, on the north side of 70 - drive to a dead end parking lot.

have fun - S
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004   #6
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
We'll be either there or Gunnison.

I can't find any beta out about the play park in Gunnison so we might do Shoshone. My partner will have a lime green LUV and I'll either be in a red Air or lime green LUV too. We will do a bike shuttle, but you're welcome to boat with us.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004   #7

engineer
THANKS Ron.. What day are you thinking of ??? Sat/Sun ?

I appreciate it, and If I go I will find you....

Peace..
Old 08-13-2004   #8
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Leaving right now so FRi. evening and Sat.

Still don't know whether it'll be Glennwood or Gunnison yet. Ron.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote