Shoshone run on New New Years Day 2016!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-01-2015   #1

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Shoshone run on New New Years Day 2016!!!

It's December, wow! Another great paddling year is almost finished. Time to start thinking about the start of the next season… It always begins on New Years Day with Shoshone. Warm, cold, sun, clouds or pounding snow the crew will be there at high noon ready to paddle! All are welcome.

Bring your warm gear, dry suits, gloves & pogies, skull caps and wool socks.

Who is going to make it this year?

Lets plan to paddle at 12:00 noon at Grizzly Creek (maybe arrive a little early to get changed and load boats) and be leaving the parking lot for the first Shoshone lap ASAP. If you have a shuttle driver bring them along. We often do multiple laps!

Here is a Facebook page to share stoke, carpools, clothing questions and above all pictures from this year and past years. https://www.facebook.com/ShoshoneNYD

Here is a video Scott Winkleman made:

Another video from the Kellogg Show:

peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015   #2

A few tips: dress warm, gloves are better than pogies (if you swim), mitts are better than gloves. Beg borrow or steal a dry suite, You can do it in your old leaky splash top but you will have a great time being warm and dry. Skull caps are great but a hood is wonderful. Bring your GoPro! Share rides from the Front Range if you can, that is half the fun getting fired up for the paddling year. Typically its mostly kayakers but there is a growing SUP force (Thanks Hobie), A few river boarders some years (that's crazy, hats off to you), and a rafter always says they are coming and never shows up. Maybe this year we might have the first.
Old 12-02-2015   #3

wonderment, enlightened
Paddling Since: 1995
Easy on the Rafter bashing. We made it 3 years in a row before we moved to the west coast. It's a wee bit far of a drive now. Have fun and be safe. We just did a Thanksgiving Rogue trip and I can't believe that there was not ice in the eddy's. Everything was frozen solid every morning.
dragonflyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyboater View Post
Easy on the Rafter bashing. We made it 3 years in a row before we moved to the west coast. It's a wee bit far of a drive now. Have fun and be safe. We just did a Thanksgiving Rogue trip and I can't believe that there was not ice in the eddy's. Everything was frozen solid every morning.
Sorry, I didn't mean to bash anyone. It's just that every year there is lots of talk about someone bringing a raft and never happens. I think it would be great if more rafters got stoked on the paddling NYD on Shoshone. I was encouraging not bashing.
Old 12-02-2015   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
SUP is awesome. Rafts are awesome. I think the river borders would be the ones to show them both up!
Old 12-02-2015   #6

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Sups, rafts or kayakers.... you gotta be crazy to do this run on new years!! I give anyone props for going out there! keep up the good work and ill meet you at the hot springs!
johnsnow420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015   #7

We will do the Hotsprings this year! See you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 12-17-2015   #8

Just got word that Marty & Sonia from Jackson Kayak will be coming to Shoshone new years day. They will be bringing their amazing Chilli and hot chocolate for all the paddlers. Thanks!

Could also be Jackson boats to demo. Please let me know if there is a Jackson Kayak model you would like to try and I'll see of we can make it available on NYD-Shoshone.
Old 12-18-2015   #9

Steamboat, Colorado
We'll be the rafters that actually show up! Well... actually we'll be the kayakers that show up with a raft
Old 12-18-2015   #10

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Where's all the talking about who's gonna flip and swim? I'm disappointed in you all!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote