Shoshone River WY - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2013   #1

Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Shoshone River WY

Looking for info on the North Fork of the Shoshone between Livermore and Gibbs and the Shoshone between the dam and Cody. We have a 15 foot raft and trailer and will have 2 kids, 11 and 12 who have done III's, but not IV's. Info on best river access for trailer especially on Shoshone, any rapids over a III, and we are going to be there in the middle of June.

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013   #2

B.F.E., Wyoming
Post on here:
CODY
And you will get a response pretty quick, the cody crew is the shizzzz.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #3

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Not sure where Livermore or Gibbs is, but I've floated the North Fork from Pahaska to Buffalo Bill Reservoir. The upper part is swift, there could be logs, but only one rapid worth mentioning. I think its called sluice box or something like that. The river constricts and there are a few holes to miss, but nothing that difficult, III+ maybe. The biggest rapid is called Devil's elbow, approximately 2/3 of the way to the reservoir. You go underneath a highway bridge and the river flows to river left, and some of the flow disappears into the canyon wall. There are a couple of squirly parts, and then you have to move back towards river right above some obstructions (log piles). Probably class iv. Then next stretch of rapids is around Wapiti, but nothing more than class iii. I remember there was a huge hole on river left near the bottom of this section.
Paddle Iraq is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013   #4

Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Not sure where Livermore is either. It shows on this fishing map I have, but I can't find anything else that shows it. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-29-2013   #5
spf

Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I float the North Fork several weeks of the year. I do a week at the end of March, a week around the 1st of July, and a week in September. It may be my favorite river- but I'm partial to fly fishing for wild trout. As for Gibbs, I think you are referring the takeout at Gibbs Bridge, which is at the inlet to Buff Bill Rez. I float the N.Fork from Pahashka down, and the Shoshone from the rodeo grounds to the take out off the Powell Hwy. I have a 10yr old, and he has been down that river starting at age 3, and my wife rows most of the time the fishing is good. The crux to your boating fun will have more to do with finding the launches and take outs, shuttling, camping, and bear safety. Tim Wade's fly shop could arrange a shuttle. I take a bike along and do the shuttle myself.
Email me if you would like some more info: [email protected]
spf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #6

The Fort, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by freexbiker View Post
Post on here:
CODY
And you will get a response pretty quick, the cody crew is the shizzzz.
yup! and talk to andy Gradient Mountain Sports. i believe they even offer shuttles. Gradient Mountain Sports, paddle sports, Cody, WY# .

Wyoming trout guides, who is affiliated with Andy's new shop, are also a good resource.
whitewater_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #7

Cody, Wyoming
There are a number of rapids you will want to check out prior to getting on the North Fork. Many of them can be scouted from the road. The river level will determine some of the rapids you will want to check out. The section of river for rafts below the dam starts under the rodeo grounds. The river above that is serious class 5 rafting and not for kids much less most adults. I highly recommend touching base with Andy at Gradient Mountain Sports for info. The north fork is a great run but as the levels vary the rapids of difficulty vary and logs are always an issue.