Shiva as first boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-14-2015   #1

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2014
Shiva as first boat

Hello, looking at a large shiva as my first boat. I am 6'2" 200lbs. Based in southern indiana for now but hope to relocate to oregon or North Carolina in the next year.

Is there a good reason why the shiva would not be a good boat for me?

Thanks
LC

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015   #2

Morrison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
The shiva is a big heavy creekboat. Depending on the type of water you plan to paddle, it could be a good first boat as it is forgiving and easy to roll.

However, based on your height and weight, I wouldn't go bigger than a medium to start. You will have no problem getting comfy in a med plus it weighs a little less than the large.

Jackson makes many great beginner boats too but you may also want to consider a Pyranha Burn as it is a more of an all around boat than the shiva.

more details about what you plan to paddle and your experience level will net better recommendations.
sross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015   #3

Grants Pass, Oregon
I have only paddled class 2/3 in a kayak once and took one roll class. Lots of flat water experience in touring boats and have rafted 2/3/4 a handful of times.

Water would be whatever I can get into, I am really just trying to get started.

I also saw a Jackson hero at a great price but it is a medium and I am 10lbs over the weight range on that boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015   #4

Morrison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
if this is the boat your looking at, it is a screaming deal for a never paddled shiva. https://louisville.craigslist.org/for/4971823559.html

you could definitely paddle the boat at your weight but if you fall down too far under 200 lbs anytime soon you might wish you had a slightly smaller boat (i.e the medium).

obviously in that area, deals on used boats will be tough to find so go sit in it and if you like it, pull the trigger!
sross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015   #5

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I have a Shiva S for creeking/multiday trips and I love it. It is super easy to roll, forgiving, and with the amount of rocker the boat has it still tracks well. It is on the heavy side but the plastic is tough and will last you a while especially on class 2/3 where there is not a lot of mank. The outfitting took me a little while to get used to because its seat feels more like you are sitting on a stool, compared to my previous Jackson which felt more like a couch.
float2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015   #6

Grants Pass, Oregon
That's the one I'm looking at. The only time I have been under 200 in the last 5 years was after 2 months on the Appalachian trail I got down to 185 or so.... Upped my food intake and leveled out again. So I don't think I will see any dramatic weight change.
Old 04-14-2015   #7

Grants Pass, Oregon
I was too slow. Shiva is sold.
Old 04-14-2015   #8

Grants Pass, Oregon
Same guy has a Jackson mega rocker. Looks like that might suit me...
Old 04-14-2015   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I think you're on the right track with the Large. I'm a mere 140 (before gear) and have been paddling a Medium for years now. The M feels perfect for my weight and I bet I'd want to go up if I was 30 lbs heavier.

It is a heavy boat, but nimble on the water.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015   #10

Ontario, California
Paddling Since: 2010
Don't sweat it, I bought a Shiva M for $500 and it was used less than 5 times. I had a Burn L for my first boat and it was awesome (paid $500 for it too). Only problem was after 3 seasons I had to put some welds on the Burn. I'm 6'1" 195 lbs for reference. The LL Flying Squirrel and Stomper would be kinda similar. LL Remix is also an amazing first boat. My buddy had an old LL Jefe and loves it, esp with the BA outfitting. If you haven't already, try Boatertalk.com. They usually have a pretty good used boat selection.
awills4 is offline   Reply With Quote