Shelly's Cottages - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2014  
Red Beard

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Shelly's Cottages

Has anyone boated Shelly's Cottages down to A/B-hole since last years flooding? Anything to look out for? Any eyes on the flow down there? It's on my bucket list this year. I've never run it... any specific things to watch for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014  

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
A coupe things
The road CR 80 is not accessible to non residents.
They are working on HWY 36
Which means track hoes in the river
Crane and associates consulting along with Walsh environmental scientists are next up to repair the river bed in that area.
These two firms are very boater friendly and have great plans to get our run back.

There is speculation that FEMA will not allow boating this year. Or will discourage boating this year.

LOG is happening and there will be kayaking events held at the BB and A holes.
Old 03-27-2014  

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Would you expect this discouragement for both the north and south?

I haven't been paying attention, the o-hole is obviously toast. What happened to the funds we raised last year. Did we invest it right before the floods, or will they be used to fix her back up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014  

Lyons, Colorado
Not sure about whats gonna be discouraged or where. It's currently just a discussion to the best of my knowledge,

Thanks for bringing up the O hole funds we raised. O hole is toast and in certain of its future. We still have the funds and were hoping to put that money into the A-hole and BB hole if everyone is cool with that. It's been on my list to address with MB.
Old 03-27-2014  

Lyons, Colorado
Uncertain

Auto-correct is lame sometimes
Old 03-27-2014  

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
That's great news about LOG. I thought for sure it'd be canceled.

for anyone that hasn't seen it the current google earth is from right after the floods, rivers are down but Lyons is still shut down. It's pretty wild to see what it did to the river beds out there, especially up by Shelly's.

Hopefully those guys get it back even better than it was before.
Old 03-31-2014  

West of Boulder, Colorado
A buddy and I toured SSV and NSV this weekend for the first time since the flood. It is crazy to see the devastation and changes. Good or bad, these will be much different rivers.

SSV of course still has it steeps. Not that I paddle SSV, but it seems like it has less features and more straight-line big drops, due to the road re-establishment. Above and below the steeper sections, the river reminded me of a wide Alaskan stream, no vegetation, old braids, more even gradient in sections with boulders and cobblestone everywhere. It seems like there could be short stretches of class III and IV paddling opportunities? I guess we will see how the runoff carves up the river bed this spring and what it looks like with more water running.

I also wonder when they are done with re-establishing the river bed and diversions if you will be able to float to town on SSV?

We also drove up NSV above town. There was a lot of equipment working at Plant Blue Grass. Above the Apple Valley bridge, the river was also stripped of vegetation, and cobblestone everywhere. They were working on re-establishing the river in the old river bed along 36. We could not go up county rd. 80 to look, but Shelly's rapid will be way different as I am sure everything else will be. There is still is a lot of river bed work to be done, sure hope they add back in some river features.

It will be really interesting to see how these rivers settle out/channelize after the work and runoff.

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Here's pictures of BB and A holes from Saturday. The rocks and cement look intact, but the water looks to be flowing into BB at a different angle, completely killing the eddy on river left.

I might try surfing BB on a SUP it this week, anyone know if the water is safe to be in at this point?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0747.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	8075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	8076