Shallow water loops - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-11-2007   #1

Golden, Colorado
Shallow water loops

Heads up to you playboaters that are hitting low water playparks and trying loops in shallow water. That newly posted series of photos of looping and cracking that playboat on a rock makes me cringe.

If you don't make a full loop and you land upside down then you are in the same position I was in when I broke my neck this winter. I can't even look at this photo without getting the creeps:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/gallery/...php?i=1693&c=6

Eventually, someone is going to kill themself trying to loop in a shallow feature. It is a matter of time. It is so easy to break your neck if you land upside down and you are not in a full tuck.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2007   #2

I don't think this is an issue in a hole. Since I only loop in shallow features (CO) I can say that your head goes directly towards the deepest part of the feature. Also, the only way to get that far around to get to that position requires the paddler to tuck very tight, thus avoiding injury. There's also somewhat of a minimum flow to even be able to pull off a loop, even in current boats. Getting pop requires a good amount of water power in a hole, and i've been in some holes that are so weak it's actually easier to flatwater loop then it is in the hole, because you sub out.

I actually split the stern open on a G-Force a few years ago. Holleywood Hole at Union is probably one of the shallowest loopable features.

Doing loop variations while going through a rapid could definetly break a neck...
Old 04-12-2007   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Loops

low water loops suck, if its to low sometimes going for a phonix monkey is best chance for loop since you can pretty much stand it up and parauette at the right angle better than your boat crashing straight into rocks in the feature!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2007   #4

yeah, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
low water loops suck, if its to low sometimes going for a phonix monkey is best chance for loop since you can pretty much stand it up and parauette at the right angle better than your boat crashing straight into rocks in the feature!
un-like Mike, I usually go for a helix or something a little more simple when the water is low. Or even a double donkey splat. It's just easier that way
WesternMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
...oh kids these days...it is a sign of the times when homeboy can spell "phonix monkey" but not "pirouette"...

yo Topher, I am going to be out in your neck of the woods next week. Any chance we could hook up and paddle? PM me or e-mail.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote