September/October night float on Cat - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2010   #1

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
September/October night float on Cat

Any thoughts on night floats that time of year on Cat? Thinking of floating through the top of meander to cut down on motor time and allow for a shorter trip for our weekend warriors. My concern is sandbars. I know the river has channelized in some places but I am not sure I trust it. Plan would be to launch on the evening of the 19th, 5 nights before the full moon, so plenty of light.

I would love to know:
-Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with sandbars at night?
-Think the idea is a no go completely?
-Plan on launching around the same date and maybe want to coordinate shuttles to save money?

cheers

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010   #2

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
um, meant night of September 23rd with the full moon.
Old 08-13-2010   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
when you hit sandbars at night, who ever wakes up or is awake gets out and pushes off. the ripply surface on the shallow sand bars should give away their position in the moonlight. i wouldnt say it is a no go that time of year but make sure you are dressed accordingly.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010   #4

logan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have floated at night on the green side that time of year, the furthest we made it was 3 miles and usually only went 1. 5 day with a motor you should be fine if you are sleeping on the boats, first one up pushes off. the only worry I would have is hitting the wall or bank with the motor in the middle of the night so, protect it or it will be a low haul off and take more then 5 days.
jquinn79 is offline   Reply With Quote