Semi-Dry Storage Options - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2008   #1

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Semi-Dry Storage Options

I bought a raft over the winter, mostly for fishing, but we'd also like to take some overnight or longer trips this summer. We'll be using dry bags for things like clothes, sleeping bags, tents, etc., and we have a large Igloo cooler for cold food storage, but I'm still looking for ideas for semi-dry storage for mostly kitchen items like utensils, skillets, DO, spices, etc, in additon to dry food like bread, chips, cookies, etc.

The boat is a 13' SB Otter w/ oar frame that has a rear storage compartment, the rower's compartment, and the front storage compartment under the front seat. The inside width of 33" between the tubes pretty much eliminates any drybox I've found so far, so I'm looking into other options to store those miscellaneous items I listed above. One thing I'm thinking of is a medium-sized action packer from Rubbermaid. The width and height look good for our boat, and I'm guessing that with some very thin weatherstripping applied around the rim, it should stay pretty dry inside.

Anyone else that was in a similar situation care to share your solution?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Check out this link:
Recretec Aluminum Dry Box River Connection

They have 13"x16"x26" and 16"x16"x26" dry boxes. The description also says 'custom sizes available' so they might make one to your exact specs.

You can also call Recretec at (541) 746-8233, 4660 Main St
Springfield, OR 97478.

Fromntier play also has a 24"L x 12"W x 16"H dry box for $140:
Aluminum dry box for raft cataraft captain side box M - eBay (item 280178974918 end time Feb-27-08 08:54:54 PST)

I have heard that the action packer with a bulb seal minimizes splashes, but isn't dry. You could also check out:
DRY BOX - NO MORE WET GEAR!
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've used an action packer as the kitchen box for years. I don't keep paper towels in it or stuff that HAS to stay dry, but its great for pots,pans and dishes. I've been meaning to add a weatherstrip, but never got around to it.

That box that raftus linked to on the bottom looks worth checking out. Anybody tried one?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008   #4
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
Dude - I used to use a York Pack dry box for a few years for my kitchen. It worked great: Canadian Canoe Routes - A Meeting Place for Canadian Wilderness Paddlers

I not longer use it because I've changed my system so I'd be willing to make a good deal on it. They retailed for $149 from NRS. Let me know if you want pictures.

JBL
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We have the same boat, and this is what I got for kitchen stuff:

NRS Expedition DriDuffel - Dry Bag

All other dry food goes in dry bags. Cookies and stuff can just go in sandwich containers in the dry bag to keep them from crushing.

Dry boxes are tough in that little otter, also it seems the height from floor to frame is pretty small.

RiverConnection.com sells cambridge boxes that are 26" wide, also custom. the nice thing with this is you can choose the height from the bottom for the ears that sit on the cross bars, so even with a short floor/frame distance you should be able to make it work.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I used to use those waterproof gamma lids on top of 5 gallon buckets for altenative dry storage, but now they're started building different containers with those lids:

Gamma Vittles Vault Pet Food Container at PETCO

They're cheap and dry- the lids are about 12" in diameter, so it's wide enough to get smaller plates in them. Great for dry goods like bread, fruit, etc.; but you shouldn't be stepping on them.

Here's where to find a bunch of them: Dog Food Storage - PetFoodDirect
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'll take pictures! Is it beefy enough to put a wood platform and tractor seat on?

laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL View Post
Dude - I used to use a York Pack dry box for a few years for my kitchen. It worked great: Canadian Canoe Routes - A Meeting Place for Canadian Wilderness Paddlers

I not longer use it because I've changed my system so I'd be willing to make a good deal on it. They retailed for $149 from NRS. Let me know if you want pictures.

JBL
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #8

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You might try 5 gal plastic buckets with Gamma Seal lids.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/sea...seal&x=13&y=10

The York boxes work great, also.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #9

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Here is a link to another source of Vittle Vaults.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/sea...vault&x=8&y=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Flaco View Post
I used to use those waterproof gamma lids on top of 5 gallon buckets for altenative dry storage, but now they're started building different containers with those lids:

Gamma Vittles Vault Pet Food Container at PETCO

They're cheap and dry- the lids are about 12" in diameter, so it's wide enough to get smaller plates in them. Great for dry goods like bread, fruit, etc.; but you shouldn't be stepping on them.

Here's where to find a bunch of them: Dog Food Storage - PetFoodDirect
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #10

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
thanks for the replies everyone.

jbl - i want to look into the action packer a little more. if that doesn't pan out, i just might take you up on the york pack. it looks like it would be perfect for our application.