Selway advise 7-2-11 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2011   #1

Portland, Denver Broncos Rule
Selway advise 7-2-11

So my friend lucked out and drew for the Selway on the 2nd of July. Now we are looking at huge water. I have a few question, I was wondering if you guys can help.

#1 What is the highest water you would take a round boat down it ?

#2 What kind of water fluctuations can we expect to see after we launch.

#3 What water levels do you think we will see this year on that date?

#4 Which shuttle service do you use when doing this trip ?

Any info on this would be great. I am a novice boater but all the people on the sticks this trip are very good. Thank god I am going to be holding a fishing rod and not the other stick this year.,

Thanks in advance

JC

Tireman357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011   #2

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I think your friend better double check his permit. I drew July 2 and there is only 1 per day.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
I think your friend better double check his permit. I drew July 2 and there is only 1 per day.
Sorry it is the 3rd we are meeting there the 2nd, nice to meet the people in front of us though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Best shuttle service I've ever used on any river:

Karen Kidd P.O. Box 611 Darby 406 821 3560

I'm going on the 17th (as long as the flows aren't too high).

I have no idea what the flow will be. It's been coming off so slow with this weather. Maybe that will continue. All the low elevation stuff is obviously gone, so maybe it won't get too crazy when temps warm up. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I personally wouldn't take a round boat above 3.5 - 4 feet. But I'm a catarafter and prefer that craft at any flow. If it's over 4' when I go, I'll be light and ready to self rescue. Then highest I've seen the Selway is about 3.5' I think. It was manageable at that flow. On that trip, the water rose significantly each day. That was in early May and we got a lot of rain. I think it went from 2' to 3.5 during our 3 day trip.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdannel View Post
Best shuttle service I've ever used on any river:

Karen Kidd P.O. Box 611 Darby 406 821 3560

I'm going on the 17th (as long as the flows aren't too high).

I have no idea what the flow will be. It's been coming off so slow with this weather. Maybe that will continue. All the low elevation stuff is obviously gone, so maybe it won't get too crazy when temps warm up. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I personally wouldn't take a round boat above 3.5 - 4 feet. But I'm a catarafter and prefer that craft at any flow. If it's over 4' when I go, I'll be light and ready to self rescue. Then highest I've seen the Selway is about 3.5' I think. It was manageable at that flow. On that trip, the water rose significantly each day. That was in early May and we got a lot of rain. I think it went from 2' to 3.5 during our 3 day trip.
Holy crap a foot and a half in 3 days. Damn, that could be bad if that happens and we put it at 3.5
Old 06-03-2011   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
From what I've heard above 6' is when the Selway gets really serious. Serious as in miles of continuous class IV to V- moves with very fast moving current. Serious as in if you swim plan on it going bad fast and the real possibility of losing your raft. I've been told to bring an extra everything - groover, firepan, kitchen, food, personal gear - on a second raft at flows above 7'. Apparently the crux section is from around Moose Creek and lasts for 7 or 8 miles. From what I've been told below about 5' it is still quality class IV but not too scary.

Good TR at Selway River, Idaho
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman357 View Post
So my friend lucked out and drew for the Selway on the 2nd of July. Now we are looking at huge water. I have a few question, I was wondering if you guys can help.

#1 What is the highest water you would take a round boat down it ?

#2 What kind of water fluctuations can we expect to see after we launch.

#3 What water levels do you think we will see this year on that date?

#4 Which shuttle service do you use when doing this trip ?

Any info on this would be great. I am a novice boater but all the people on the sticks this trip are very good. Thank god I am going to be holding a fishing rod and not the other stick this year.,

Thanks in advance

JC
1. Been down it at about six feet, twas 17.5k cfs at the bottom. I would do it again with more water, maybe up to 20K.

2. The water fluctations we saw were about 6-8 inches per day. Higher. Every day. The edge of water stick we put in was almost always under water the next day.

3. Not huge. Not sure what huge is to you. But it will be full and lush and gorgeous and a great medium full to medium rare level.

4. Karen Kidd. If it's clear enough to fish the flow will be just right.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
1. Been down it at about six feet, twas 17.5k cfs at the bottom. I would do it again with more water, maybe up to 20K.

2. The water fluctations we saw were about 6-8 inches per day. Higher. Every day. The edge of water stick we put in was almost always under water the next day.

3. Not huge. Not sure what huge is to you. But it will be full and lush and gorgeous and a great medium full to medium rare level.

4. Karen Kidd. If it's clear enough to fish the flow will be just right.
Nothing wrong with Medium rare.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2011   #9

pocatello, Idaho
bigger than murtaugh at 20k?

6' lochsa big?

bigger than staricase at 15K?

bigger than main salmon at 6'?

what is big?
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I've been told these comparisons. At high water the MF is like the Lochsa - 2'. So 6' on the MF is like 4' on the Lochsa, but with gear. Just having finished a trip at 6.5', I'd say that's close, maybe subtract a bit less.

On the Selway, I've been told it is quite comparable to the Lochsa, but with gear boats. So 6' on the Selway is like 6' on the Lochsa That might even be comparing the upper Lochsa, because while at 6' the Lower Lochsa starts to get a bit burly, it's pretty smooth and straightforward. The Moose Juice section is a lot more continuous than the Lower Lochsa so recovery is extremely difficult and this is another reason I'd compare it to the upper Lochsa. I've done the Lochsa up to 9', 7.5' on the upper, and only done the Selway at 2'. But it's a constant topic of discussion, esp on various river trips.

If you want endless comparisons of how big the Selway is, post on Idaho Whitewater and ask for comparisons at various levels.