self-support kayaks - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-13-2009   #1

Salt Lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
self-support kayaks

Please give me any recommendations for best self-support kayaks and where to find a used one? I go for up to 8-day trips.

DoiwnRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
Prijon Chopper

I found a used Chopper and it works well for me on self support and is a good big water western river multi day trip boat.

Prijon plastic and outfitting is about as bomber as it gets and even a used Chopper has a lot of boating left in it.

Only thing is the Chopper has so much room, it is easy to carry much more gear than is needed.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #3

Salt Lake city, Utah
Thanks for info about Chopper. Anyone use a Diesel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The German-manufactured boated don't have pillars inside the hulls so that makes more room for stowing gear and it makes it a lot easier to stow in the first place not having to work around the pillar. EZ to take out the bulkhead, too, put a little gear in the bow to level off your trim, then replace the bulkhead. Boats by Prijon and Eskimo both fall into this category. Also, if you self-support runs have a lot of flatwater, get something old school and long because it'll be faster on the flats (long to me is 10'+).

If you're not doing really hard whitewater, you may want to consider an IK, or inflatable kayak, too. They've got some big advantages, too, EZ in-and-out, good in shallow water (they float a bit higher), easier to repair, deflate and pack option if you need to hike to the river. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable in one in hard pushy water and they ain't fast on the flats either. I just can't maneuver and IK like a hardshell so I'm a little biased to a hardshell, but if I was doing a slow and shallow multi-day, they'd probably be a great choice.

A third option is a regular large-volume creeker if your self-support is technical. I'm sure manufacturers would not recommend this, but you can take out foam pillars pretty easy. I did a three day trip this year in my Habitat 80 and I took out the foam pillar in the stern only. It make it a lot easier to get stuff back there, but the integrity of the hull was compromised. At night though, my two Ridgerest pads were oh so comfy that folding my stern was the last thought on my mind. I would not recommend removing any pillars in the bow though just because I value my legs and you don't store much gear up front anyway.

I think CKS or somebody else had some good advice on packing gear, might want to read up on that, too. Essentially, weight distribution should be centered side-to-side and keep as little weight as possible from the resting in the ends of you boat. This makes it handle better when pivoting or boofing.

Cheers!

So I'm curious, what kind of trips are you looking at? The Stikine?
Old 09-14-2009   #5

Salt Lake city, Utah
Thanks, Schizzle. I love self-support trips for everything from desert streams/rivers to larger rivers during the swing seasons.
Old 09-14-2009   #6

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
You can find a lot of good info here:

Earthen Exposure: kayaks
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #7

Salt Lake city, Utah
Great info - thanks.
Old 09-14-2009   #8

Student
LL Remix Xp

Downriver,
I'm loving the Remix XP 10. Paddles great in all types of water and will hold a ton of gear. Quick review here. Beers, Atom
Remix XP10 Long Term review | Colorado Kayak Supply Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoiwnRiver View Post
Please give me any recommendations for best self-support kayaks and where to find a used one? I go for up to 8-day trips.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
good link Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hartley View Post
You can find a lot of good info here:

Earthen Exposure: kayaks
That's a cool link Mike. Thanks for posting that. Think I need to up my groundpad game.
Old 09-14-2009   #10

Corrales, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
What Do You Pack

Think I need more of a backpacker’s mentality. Any tips on what to take on a two or three day trip without being top heavy or too loaded in an IK? Do you take a tent, a pad, a sleeping bag? What about water. I have no idea how I would load that thing for an eight day trip.
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote