Self Support Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-02-2010   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Self Support Grand Canyon

I have a self support trip down the grand canyon next week and I have a few questions. I have not been down the canyon.

-What is a good place to monitor the weather for the canyon? A place to look at historical temps? I don't need water temps, I know-cold. I have a dry suit blah blah blah.

-What's the deal the Phantom Ranch? Water? Can I buy beer? I heard there is a resturaunt, can I get a hot meal? If I do a drag bag on day 1 will they take my beer cans?

-I have done lots of self support kayaking but nothing this long. Any suggestions on creative meals?

-I have a bottle of beam and a case of pbr. Any suggestions on a nice bottle of scotch to sip?

Thanks for the beta. And don't worry we are keeping it real, no rafters or front rangers will be in attendance.

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Don't worry about bringing a sleeping bag. Eric says that he is bringing an extra large one so you two can snuggle.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #3
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
There is water at Phantom. Beer can be bought by the cup for about $4 each if I remember correctly. If you are looking for a sit-down meat and potatoes meal, don't count on it. You can buy snacks.

The only really cool thing is being able to send home post cards that say, "mailed by mule from the bottom of the Grand Canyon."
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Check out the RRFW Wiki, I think they have a bunch of weather links. Or else the files section of the GCPBA yahoo group. A really useful file is the sunrise/set of various camps, so you can avoid camps that have very little light, or have more AM sun or PM, whichever you prefer. At least you can plan around the really shady ones if you like.

A meal can be purchased at Phantom, but you have to reserve it well in advance. You're probably too late but you never know.
Old 11-02-2010   #5

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosurfgod View Post
And don't worry we are keeping it real, no rafters or front rangers will be in attendance.
keeping it real? It says on your avatar that your from little boulder.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #6

Hi,

I'm in absolute awe of someone who says they are launching next week and still is looking for this kind of information. Am I missing something?

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I'm in absolute awe of someone who says they are launching next week and still is looking for this kind of information. Am I missing something?

Rich Phillips
Pull up his profile and read some of his older posts. Pretty much explains things and I'm sure he will slam me for writing this. Like I care.
Old 11-02-2010   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
#1 What's wrong with my profile?! You don't like my pics? You guys dont even have a photo of a boat. At least takemetothe river has a photo of the westwater put in.

As for richp
-I know most of the weather but thought I might be missing some more "official" websites.
-I heard mixed things about Phantom, I was wondering if someone could clear it up. Either way it doesn't really affect my legistics.
-I'm always interested in new ideas.

and Casey
-Really? Boulder? What mts do like live in? Enlighten us.

Don't do me like caspermike, I was being nice. Don't hate on the OG of the buzz.
Old 11-02-2010   #9
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosurfgod View Post
#1 What's wrong with my profile?! You don't like my pics? You guys dont even have a photo of a boat. At least takemetothe river has a photo of the westwater put in.
Hmmm... both my avatar and my profile pic are of places on the Grand right now... Lava Falls and Travertine Canyon respectively.

Anyway- I was thinking you should double check that info- Phantom might be closed this time of year. The water pump should at least be functional and is close to the river.

Have a fantastic time!
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Phantom is open all year. They won't take your trash or cans (the mule's carry it out, so they limit it to ranch only trash). It costs four bucks for a can of Tecate (they give you a lime), and you have to make reservations for meals. The water spigots will be open also.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote