self support gear list - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2008   #1

self support gear list

So I have a handful of self support kayak multidays on my to do list this summer and I was wondering what gear everyone brings along. I have only been on raft support trips in the past, and with space at a premium I was wondering what people have found is required gear and what can probably be left at home.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008   #2

Boulder, Colorado
depends on where you are going if you are planning multidays in CA then you don't need very much but if you are going to be doing cold weather multidays then you need more stuff.
Here is my list:
For warm weather:
40 degree sleeping bag (down is pretty light)
filter water bottle (only if water will be clear if not then need pump)
thermarest (the lighter the better)
sandles (no one likes sitting in camp in nasty ass creekin shoes)
one layer poly pro
food
a tarp is not needed but is a nice insurance policy (sil-nylon tarps are $ but light)
stove (I have a lightweight snow peak and it works great)

For colder weather
A warmer sleeping bag and I throw in a layer of fleece
drysuit

I try to pack my stuff in my boat so the heavier stuff is near my seat and the lighter stuff is in the rear of the boat.

I just pack what I think I will use and try to get as light as possible because hiking and portaging become a lot harder with an 80 pound boat.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #3

Durango, Colorado
I'd also add onto Toms list the following:

A bivy - $$$ but so much better than a tarp especially for those mid-August Salt trips where the bugs are out of control
An emergency first aid kit.... nuff said.
Space Blanket - can double as a makeshift firepan.

and if you're going to be portaging a lot...a Kayak Sherpa
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008   #4

Lief's Mom
Old 02-06-2008   #5

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
bitchathane
Old 02-07-2008   #6

Lief's mom obviously I was thinking more of something I might forget.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #7

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
What to bring will of course vary with whether its a permitted river with their requirements or not. In addition to the above I've added a couple of items from my list:

Extra breakdown paddle
Eucerin Plus for lotion
BD Megamid tent works well for 2 - 3 folks and is very lightweight
Small screen for filtering dishwater
Large collapsable water container for settling H2O if water silty.
Water filter or bleach
Groover - WAG bags work well w/ small/med dry bag.

Some meal ideas:

Sundried tomatoes and packaged meats (fish) are great. Twizzlers rule!

#1 – Multi-grain pasta (1 box) w/ pesto. Olive oil, sundried tomatoes; shrimp, zuchinini

#2 – Black beans (1 can), torts, red pepper, zuchini, crab, soy chees, gr chili. Great cold. No stove needed.

#3 – Cous Cous, Salmon pack, sun dried tomatoes, zuch, bl beans.

#4 – Annie Chun’s soy ginger noodles w/ salmon. Good but plain.

#5 Tasty Bites Jypor vegies. Very good but a little heavy. Heated with stove but could possible set in sun and do OK. 1 pack = 1 serving. No clean up.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #8

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
You'd be amazed what you don't need, especially if you're used to rafting. It really does depend on the conditions though. Here's what I would add to the above.
I would recommend Golite's Lair 2 tarp but only if you're expecting a lot of rain. It packs down to the size of a grapefruit and easily sleeps three. There's even a bug net that integrates with it but it adds two times more bulk and weight.
A good dry suit makes a big difference because your underlayers end up dry and therefore are good to go for camp or sleep. Less clothing needs to be packed. If its cold bring one of those puffy jackets that pack down really small. Regardless of the temp, bring a fleece hat.
Don't forget that you are way out there if things go badly so in addition to that 1st aid kit, bring some epoxy or appropriate boat repair materials. Also, don't forget the topos and compass in case you need to hike out. GPS is too heavy for something you probably won't use.
A lot of this depends on where you're going. Some fish hooks and line helped us out in Siberia when food was running a little low.
don't waste space on plates, cups and your dial-a-spice. In fact, if its going to be warm you could skip stoves and pots altogether for a short trip.
Finally, if its going to be a long, lonely trip, an inflatable companion also doubles as flotation.

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
MINIMALISM RULES,for warm weather anyway.

fOOD= A FEW CLIFF BARS,PLANTAIN CHIPS STUFF YOURSELF BEFORE AND AT TAKEOUT

waterbottle w built in filter,iodine tabs tiny,small nylon strainer 50 cents wieghs nothing

SHELTER HAMMOCK W RAINFLY BUG NET,ULTRA MINIMALIST = HEFTY BAG MISERABLE BUT BETTER THAN NOTHING DRY POLY PRO PANT SHIRT SOCKS

tevas foot rot or crotch rot is a real potential problem

EXTRA PADDLE,BASIC SAFETY KIT;THROW BAG , ,BINERS,PULLEYS ,JUMAR IF YOUR GROUP HAS ROPE,SLINGS ARE VERY USEFUL WEBBING,COUPLE PRUSSIKS,FIG 8 ? VARIETY OF BAND AIDS NEO SPORIN

IF COOKING ESBIT STOVE AND FUEL PELLETS=TINY ,LIGHT .CHEAP ,LIGHTS WET,MESSKIT POT ONLY PUT DRYSOUP MIXES INSIDE SPORK,STRAIGHT RIVER KNIFE[CAN BE SHARPENED]

BUSHWHACK AREA NEED SMALL MACHETE IN GROUP
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #10

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
what u going to run

If you're doing rivers that the boat won't be on your shoulder much you can bring more. If you going to be humping it for miles or climbing steep nasty cliffs you want to go light as possible. Look at the weather before you head out a nice tarp can sleep 2-4 folks that way you can split some of the other stuff that has to go among the other boaters. In Idaho you should count on rain and cold, California is a crap shoot, same with the desert in the spring and fall. For self contained in Idaho I go with a blue kazoo bag, a light weight full length terma rest, a small coffee can with bailing wire for boiling water. If you need a fire pan use a disposable aluminum roasting pan. Ultra light some water purfication tabs or a small bottle of clorox. Otherwise a filter. Cup spoon, TP, head lamp, and most important of all a tarp. If it's cold use a dry suit. For food keep it simple just use stuff you can add hot water to. This is the extra stuff I carry. I also have a breakdown, rope, and first aid kit that lives in my boat. For packing I like to keep my bow a bit heavy and most of weight up close to my butt. I can do a week out of my boat and that's going with a supply of etoh, a book or two and some stuff that requires more than hot water to cook. If it's a longer trip or the boat will be on my shoulder more I make adjustments (everclear instead of vodka) Adjust the rest of it for the weather and trip length and how much you think the boat will be on your shoulder.
Have fun
yak1
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote