Self Rescue Throw Bag? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2006   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Self Rescue Throw Bag?

Just curious if any of you out there have seen that throw bag with the grappling hook looking thing with the wire gates on one end. I think its called the Cross Line or something. Just looking for a website and any stories as to its efficiency or practicality. Thanks for any input.

W

Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006   #2

Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
You're looking for http://www.crosslinesolutions.com/. Saw one up close and personal last year (nope, I wasn't being rescued). Very spiffy design and construction. Compact.

Anyone else out there have actual hands-on experience, either in rescue situation or SWR training?
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I saw confluence had one in stock earlier in the season, give them a shout...

It looks like a pretty cool device.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006   #4

Variable
This device is primarily designed to capture another line and can be used in a variety of entrapment situations esp. when working from one side of the river/creek.
I have only used once in practice. The device worked better than the improvised systems we have practiced with in the past.
However considering the price it might make better economic sense to take a rescue class first, if a person has not already.

Good to see someone thinking about rescue. Planning and Practice are a most important element to any successful rescue. To often it seems in this forum that the rescue plan is to paddle or hike for help (911). This really is not a rescue plan. And by the number of throw bags and pieces of rope I have recovered over the years it appears we could all use some more practice. (Can't wait to hear the replys on this.)

Look for free rescue classes in Durango.
Unordinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Taken classes just looking to have all of the options that are available at my disposal.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #6

The Crossline is a pretty sweet tool. I've got one--although it's burried in the Deputizer's truck at the moment after our last Big S. mission--and I've used it for more than just attatching to another line. In fact, that sort of seems gimmicky to me. One of the best things I've actually used it for is transferring someone from one side of the river to another or roping someone up to probe a drop or cut an overhanging log. The grappling hook has three prongs and you just wrap it around your waist and clip one of the prongs to the rope and you have an instant, makeshift harness. When you throw the bag for rescue, I don't think you'd want to throw the hook or you might knock out your victim. The bag is nice and soft though, with a nice cozy neoprene cover.
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #7

Bend, Oregon
that seems sketchy

Smokey Carter, the way I imagine your use for this device, you would have a non-releaseable loop around your waist (under tension) and a grappling hook attached to your person, waiting for you to slip and fall on it. Both seem pretty damned sketchy. Am I correct in these assumptions?
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #8

Lets see if this clarifies: The hook attatches to the rope, not your person, but under tension it doesn't release. It's sort of scetchy, not optimal, but it works in a pinch. I had a friend on a creek cross the creek on a log, cut out said log and then wasn't able to get back to his boat. I attached the line to him (not the hook) and he swam across the creek. He didn't need my help but if he did I was there. I would've have cut the rope in an emergency. I guess all rescue situations are sketchy. Point is, this tool is pretty cool..................
Old 07-14-2006   #9

Salida, Colorado
The aspect I like about it is, if a kayak is pinned you can throw the hook out and try to hook the grab loop on the boat. It seems like a better option than trying to securing a biner to the end of a paddle and then trying to hook the grab loop. Especiall if the boat is out of paddles reach, this would be a safer bet than sending a swimmer out.

I have not used it but the theory of it has me intrigued.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #10

Yeah, the lasso is cool.....

Tags
bag