Seeking MF Salmon shuttle ideas - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2010   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Seeking MF Salmon shuttle ideas

Hey all,

Have a group of 10 people who will be launching on the MF Salmon on June 3rd and taking off on the 8th. Wondering what might be the best options for shuttles. I've heard about Blackadar but wondering what else is available. We will probably have three vehicles and it would be idea to have them all at the takeout waiting for us.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Mark

ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
We always use River Shuttles Inc. for our MF and Main Salmon trips. 1-800-831-8942. Have been using them for about ten years with good service.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #3

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
its a pretty long drive there/back if you want to attempt the shuttle yourself. For a small group like yours its probably worth paying the $220-250 per vehicle, unless you could figure out some way (motorcycle on a trailer?) to make a fun day of it for one of the members in the group.

In the past we have used river shuttles.

First year they shuttled my truck no problems.

Last year we had 3 vehicles shuttled. My truck (and trailer) didn't have any damage but both the other vehicles did. The older vehicle (Exterra) looks like they sideswiped a deer and put some minor cracks in the plastic body panels. The other vehicle (relatively new Ford Explorer) looked like they drove it head on into a rock at about 15mph.

But driving back that route I don't know how they could have hit any deer unless they were being real careless, joyriding, or driving after dusk. Neither of these situations should be allowed for a shuttle company.

On the plus side, after some complaining we did get them to pay the repairs on the Explorer. We didn't wind up doing any repairs to the Exterra.

Either way you go, I'd ask them in writing what their policy is if they damage your vehicle. And park your vehicle somewhere in the parking lot where its not likely its going to be hit by some other vehicle/trailer. And remember to take some pictures of the condition of your vehicle when you leave it at the put in.

I'm pretty sure for River Shuttles they say on their forms that its your responsibility to have full collision insurance and they are not responsible for damage to your vehicle.

So this year we are trying out Blackadar ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010   #4

Wheat Ridge, 80033
Paddling Since: 2002
I have a Aug 11 launch and there are 14 (maybe less) of us with 7 rafts. We are having River Shuttles pick us up in a 15 passenger van with a 16' enclosed cargo trailer. Their driver will take us from Cache Bar to Stanley. All this is going to cost $610. We were going to have to shuttle at least 4 vehicles at $200-$250 each plus tip so this is the cheapest route for us.

When calling this is what I found:

River Shuttles (800-831-8942)
•Boundary Creek to Cache Bar - $220 +$80 fuel deposit per vehicle
•15pas. Van Cache Bar to Stanley, ID - $445 +$165 for a 16' Cargo Trailer

Blackadar (208-756-395
•Boundary Creek to Cache Bar - $250 +$80 fuel deposit per vehicle

Sand Bar Shuttles (208-628-3016)
•Boundary Creek to Cache Bar - $190 ($200 for less than 5 vehicles) +$75 fuel deposit per vehicle
tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
thanks for the beta

Thanks for all the beta. Can't wait for our launch!
ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #6

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
I would just spend the extra 30 bucks and have Blackadar drop my vehicle off at the takeout. I have heard only good things about them, That van idea sounds like it only saved each person a few bucks. Why would anybody do this when they could have their vehicles sitting at the takeout?
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
But driving back that route I don't know how they could have hit any deer unless they were being real careless, joyriding, or driving after dusk. Neither of these situations should be allowed for a shuttle company.

So this year we are trying out Blackadar ...
While I think you're idea to use Blackadar is sound, I do have to say there are only about 485 million deer between Boundary and Cache Bar, not to mention the elk. Could be anecdote but it seems like I heard that along that road of a deer landing on top of a car. I have seen rockfall come down right in front of me as well. One engine block sized that I just missed, so your theory on running into a rock could be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
That van idea sounds like it only saved each person a few bucks. Why would anybody do this when they could have their vehicles sitting at the takeout?
For me it's about coming off the river and knowing I don't have to drive. Not that I want to be shitfaced at the take out but it's nice knowing you don't have
to crawl behind the wheel tired, burnt and possibly slightly inebriated.
Don't tell me no one here has done that. And if you aren't overserved yourself, watched someone drive away from the river and wondered if they were ok to drive. Also all the deer that the shuttle company didn't hit during the daylight shuttle time will be out in force. I have had deer commit suicide on my front bumper twice personally. I know of at least 6 others too.
So it's a safer option, I think.

No one has mentioned the other option which works for a larger group.
These guys have done three trips for us now and it's awesome. They have the back three or four seats taken out of these new buses. We make a little platform back there of drybags and pacos and at least 5 or 6 people can fully stretch out. Lots of other space around the bus. They let us bring a cooler on too.
$850.
Stanley, ID Shuttle
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote