Mountain Buzz banner

Sea Kayak Belize?

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  cayo 2 
#1 ·
I am looking into taking a trip to Belize and would like to do a self guided Sea Kayaking trip. I know several guide companies offer them but I am trying to do a self guided trip and I am having a hell of a time finding any useful information for this.

If anyone knows a website or guide book that would have info that would be great. I am hoping to find info on what islands to paddle between and where to camp, ext.

#2 ·
Sounds like you have tried some outfitters and they want you to go with them..very expensive...I know you can /could rent sea kayaks in Caye Caulker and Dandriga and probably SanPedro ,PG,and Placencia as well..for sure for day trips and snorkeling the reef..They may be reluctant to rent for overnight open water trips,at least they would want a big deposit...Try Island Expeditions,Slickrock,and Sea Kunga,if you haven't already,they probably want you to patronize their businesses,but are good folks who have been helpful with whitewater info in the past and could at least steer you in the right direction.

There is definitely what you are looking for off the southern part of the country.I don't know of any cayes you could camp on around SanPedro-Caulker-Bay of Chetumal,but maybe.

#3 ·
Sounds like Island has exactly what you want/need

From the book 'Belize Adventures in Nature' by Richard Mahler,1999
"Experienced kayakers can also follow the entire length of the barrier reef,camping along the way on such small islands as Bluefield Range,Spanish Lookout,Colson Caye,Half Moon Caye,and Northeast Caye "

Places also mentioned in that book and elsewhere as places to sea kayak: Glovers Reef,Lighthouse Reef,Chetumal Bay,Ranguana Caye,Hol Chan Channel,Caye Caulker,and Ambergris Caye (San Pedro)

There were a lot of blog people bitching about wind trying to access the reef from San Pedro,but I don't think they are knowledgeable about sea kayaking.

#4 ·
also in Mahler's book" the best book by far on the region's kayaking is the very detailed 'Belize by Kayak',self published by Kirk Barrett,to buy a copy ,call him 515 279 6699,or write to 3806 Cottage Grove,Des Moines ,Iowa 50311.."..
That's from 15 years ago but may still be valid.

It is available on Amazon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.