SE Idaho Boaters - Shelley Wave in 08??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-09-2008   #1

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
SE Idaho Boaters - Shelley Wave in 08???

With the decent snowpack in SE Idaho (and I assume SW WY) - does anyone think the Shelley Wave on the Snake River will come in this year? If I recall, it comes in around 18,000 CFS. It's been about 8+ years since the river was that high. What's the local concensus?

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008   #2

If you wanna catch it in a modern playboat you'll probably want 22K+. I rode it once @ 32K and it looked like some Zambezi type shit.

I think odds are pretty good we'll hit 20K. The only issue is the low reservoirs upstream. Last time it got super high was after two large winters.

If it gets above 22K I'll be rounding up a playboat and dropping everything to head out there. That run rules at high water (pretty good at lower flows too!)

BTW - Shelly Wave is called "Endless Summer" by the ID old schoolers. It's at the end of the Murtaugh Canyon just upstream of the "Idaho Connection" wave (which will be washed out if Shelly is worthy).
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #3

Northern Utah, Utah
Wrong Wave - the other Shelley Wave

Doublet - I think I confused you. The wave I'm talking about is right off a Shelley town exit on I-15, north of Blackfoot and south of Idaho Falls. It MIGHT be called the Woodville wave.

It's likely not well known because it's a shelf wave, only comes in at high flows - and that section of river is pretty much class I. In 1999 (and probably 97 and 9 the wave came in great around 18K-20K and it was amazing - friendly, best eddy service I've ever seen, easy to get onto, etc.

I agree, the upstream reservoirs filling up (Palisades, others) will have a lot to do with whether or not it runs. The year(s) it ran were also the years the bridge washed out on on I-15, and the one upstream by Heise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008   #4

Yep, you did confuse me! Now that you mention it, the wave I'm talking about is called Margaret not Shelly (don't ask me how I confused the name, I'm clearly an idiot).

I was skiing in Jackson a couple weeks ago, and things were more filled in than I've ever seen them. SE Idaho is going to go off this year (like the rest of the west!).
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #5

St. Anthony, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Looking at the flows its at 17,999 cfs right now. I'm new to the area, anyone have any details on the location and such?
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #6

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
yes, info please either none of my buddies know where it is or they aren't as good of freinds as I though they were.

The murtaught section has been running 12,500 but looks to be dropping right now. I bet it comes back up for a week or two. at 10K it is awesome. Huge features for sure.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #7

St. Anthony, Idaho
fiya, are you trying to get on the Murtaugh or the Shelley wave?

I'm trying to figure out the Shelley wave.
Old 04-21-2011   #8

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Looking for the shelley wave. wooohooo

Done the murtaugh.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #9

St. Anthony, Idaho
ok, I think I'll be able to check it out tomorrow (friday the 21st), I'll just try to use fatmanz directions. I'll post my findings!
Old 04-21-2011   #10

Northern Utah, Utah
It's been 10 years since I've been there, but I'm 99% sure it's the Woodville Wave. I think the end of this road - E 1540 N, Shelly, ID (dead ends at river) is the put-in/parking spot and the wave is only a few hundred yards downriver. Pull it up on google maps and you'll notice that the river bank (road side) juts out to a point a little ways down from the put-in and I believe that is where the wave is. Hard to miss, you should be able to see it from the road before you get to the end of it.