Scammers on the prowl - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2005   #1

Scammers on the prowl

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows the scammers are on the gear swap. Below is the text. Quite common now, just be warned.

Hello ,
Thanks for your mail.this is how i will want us to seal the transaction bcos i dont want any delay at all.So all i am going to do is to contact my associate in the state to issue you a bank draft of $3,500 which will be for both the shipping and your own money So all i will want you to do when you recieve the check, is to deduct your own money $300 and send the re! maining shipping funds through VIA WESTERN UNION to my international shipping agent,once he receieves the balance will come over to your location the very next day for pick up, now the money wired to the shipper is his fees for his services, transportation to your location and back to me, also for all charges that may arise along this transaction cos i will want it to be delivered to me safe and sound without problems, i shall send you my shipper address as soon as i contact him So if this terms are okay by you i will need your contact address and phone number so that i can forward to my a ssociate who will be issueing you the check.I look forward to your reply. Note: The shipping funds will be wired to my international shipping agent that will come for the pickup of the Wavesport Score he would be the one to arrange the shipping from USA or UK to where i am living.! now that we have an agreement I will like y! ou to remove the advert you placed on the website so that you will recieve no more offers.the cheque will be sent to you via fedex. I will give you a call as soon as you reply.info required to send cheque :
FULL NAME .......
FULL ADDRESS.........
CITY............
STATE.........
COUNTRY.....
ZIPCODE........
Phone number Office / ce

boulder_drylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2005   #2

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd like to find those bastards and scam them to death with a tee-ball bat.
Old 07-24-2005   #3

Teacher
yeah,

this guy is a punk. he tried to do the same thing to me and only offer me 3000.00 to your 3500.00! I'd be willing to smack him around a bit for free though...
cookler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2005   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
hey, why not appear to be a schmo and offer this guy to send you funds via paypal instead? fairly anonymous and it should shut him up.

there has to be a way to scam these scammers....
leery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
One way to get even with them is to string them along, make them send you their counterfeit checks via FEDEX, and see if you can get their local cops to nail them. There was a thread on these guys awhile back in which there were links to websites that detailed how people did that.

Once you've got the check you can just tell them that you won't send money of the item until you see the money'd deposited in your account.

I think that if the deal's got this level of complexity, such as someone who wants to send you a lot more money than the item you're selling, & have you send them the remainder, should raise suspicion...

SYOTR,

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #6

This isn't new. There have been other threads on this on the Buzz. This happens all over the internet. There are even web sites devoted to dealing with these scammers.

It seems that the best thing to do is to string them along. Tell them to send you the check and then give all sorts of excuses of why you aren't wiring their money. Tell them things like your spouse was in a car accident or you are negotiating a wonderful deal for X-games sponsorship.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #7

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Maybe ask them to send you some kind of merchandise as collateral, then don't send them shit. Most of these guys are in Nigeria and other places where their local authorities won't do anything to them. Notice the poor English in the sample message.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #8

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Maybe ask them to send you some kind of merchandise as collateral, then don't send them shit. Most of these guys are in Nigeria and other places where their local authorities won't do anything to them. Notice the poor English in the sample message.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #9

Golden, Colorado
http://www.419eater.com/
this site gives you details on what they do and how they do it and how to do it to them. good luck -t