Scammers on the Buzz! - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2010   #1
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Scammers on the Buzz!

So I am selling a boat in the classified section and I got this email the other day:

"Aire Puma

Hello Seller,

In reference to your on-line placed advert, I will like to know if this item is still for sale and If it is, is the condition still remain as described in the advert?
Kindly include your bottom price. I will be waiting for your response at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,
Sam."

Then I get:

"Hello, Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to read from you. I am okay with the price of the item and its condition as well. Kindly consider it sold.
However, I will be paying you with a cashier's check. If you can provide me with the name and address to send this to, I will issue it out as soon as possible.
As for the shipment, I will prefer to take care of that. I will hire a hauling company to come for the pick-up of the item. I'm sure this will be okay with you.what is your last asking price?
Thanks very much. I will be waiting to read from you soon.
Best Regard,
Sam."

So, knowing it is a scammer fishing for my ID I say: "sorry I meant $19,000."

He replies:

"I'm ok with your price, so kindly get back to me with your information to mail out the check.

Sam"

So I say: "sorry, I meant $190,000. Where are you located?"

response:
"Texas........hope to get back to me with your information such as:

Your name

Your address where you want me to mail the payment to:

Your phone number

Sam"

Anyways, I guess what I am trying to say is that we have scammers now on Mountain Buzz so be careful with your transactions. The guy said he was in texas, but he is probably overseas somewhere. If you get anyone acting strange and wanting your name, address and phone # to send payment don't do it. Instead I would recommend messing with them by asking lots of questions, jacking the price way up and eventually asking for the same info from them as they want from you. This guy is so stupid he is trying the same exact approach with 2 different emails. Oh, and if anyone reads this who is a scammer, there is a special place in hell reserved for you and I would love to help get you there as soon as possible so stop by! Also, for all those who are bored, we can bombard this dudes email adresses with emails and "persuasive language" and try to get them from trying it again on our site. his email is:
[email protected]

matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I would just ignore them - these guys have nothing else to do than to try to scam people all day long. We can nuke fake sellers, but we can only ban registered users - can't stop the guy from emailing you directly.

If you really want to take the time to mess with them, there's a site dedicated to making fools of scammers : Welcome to the 419 Eater

Looks like their images are broken right now, though. Some hilarious scambaiting, though...
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Uh, welcome to the internet.
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010   #4
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
unfortunately, it's nothing new. They've been on here for many years.

Some of the ideas on 419 eater are great, it's fun to mess with these guys!
Old 07-10-2010   #5

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I joked with a scammer (posing as a russian girl) for quite awhile once. If they sent you an email check the full headers. Mine clamied to be a russian girl but was an IP address in Dallas sent to a russian server then to me.

So after the I love you I need 1000 to fly to you talk I finally said I knew Dallas well and I would fly to her...I never heard back?
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #6

Hi,

Here's a variant.

A few years ago, I bid on a set of cat tubes, which were on eBay as a listing from one of the GC outfitters. Didn't win.

A few days later, I got an email from "eBay" saying the original winner had backed out, and if I sent my money to a party that was named in the email, they would ship the tubes to me. Didn't quite seem right, since I actually knew the seller.

And so I called the company and talked to the owner. The tubes were long gone to a legitimate buyer. Someone out there in eBayland had set up the bogus "second chance" scheme to scam what started out as legitimate auctions.

They're out there, for sure.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #7

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Have them send the check, it is fake, but at least make them do a little work.

Here is something I heard on NPR a couple years ago driving through WV.
It is long, but these guys RUINED a scammer's life. Got them to go to Darfur in hopes of making a huge scam, there is hunger, gun fights, etc... Well worth the listen.

Enforcers | This American Life
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Yeah, 419 has a great story about how a baiter got a scammer to rent a boat to chase a fake GPS package off the coast of Namibia. Ends up with the scammer crying about how seasick he got. Brilliant:
The Road to the Skeleton Coast
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Hey Matt,
That same scammer contacted me this week. Thanks for posting this.

"Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to read from you. I am okay with the price of the item and its condition as well. Kindly consider it sold.
However, I will be paying you with a cashier's check. If you can provide me with the name and address to send this to, I will issue it out as soon as possible.
As for the shipment, I will prefer to take care of that. I will hire a hauling company to come for the pick-up of the item. I'm sure this will be okay with you.
Thanks very much. I will be waiting to read from you soon.

Best Regard,
Sam."

Kindly,
Jen
Stralim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I had someone named bruce send something like that, do you think it could be a scammer also?

Dagger Infrared

Hello Seller,

In reference to your on-line placed advert, I will like to know if this item is still for sale and If it is, is the condition still remain as described in the advert?
Kindly include your bottom price. I will be waiting for your response at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,
Bruce.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote