Scam Beware - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-11-2009   #1

Scam Beware

I am trying to sell a boat. I received an email from [email protected]. They identified themselves as Nathan James and wanted to buy my boat. Something didn't seem right so I did some checking turns out it's a total scam. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about it.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009   #2

truckee, California
Paddling Since: 2001
they just contacted me about buying my boat too. it seemed wierd b/c they wanted to send me a money order, including some transport fees, then have me western union the fee to the transporter? WTF! glad you posted this ad. THX. i knew something was wrong when the email they sent was all broken english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish View Post
I am trying to sell a boat. I received an email from [email protected]. They identified themselves as Nathan James and wanted to buy my boat. Something didn't seem right so I did some checking turns out it's a total scam. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about it.
Old 05-12-2009   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Western Union = Total Scam Almost 99% of the time...

Having sold several vehicles and a pop-up camper in the past 2 years I can say with a lot of certainty that anyone offering to buy anything you have for sale involving Wester Union is a total scam. Do not waste your time, remove your listing, etc. to deal with the people sending you inquiries of it when they mention Western Union, offer you more than what you are asking for, or ask that you bring it somewhere to be shipped.

I sold a Nissan Maxima about 5 years ago and posted the car on Autotrader and actually got someone that sent me a bogus cashiers check from a fradulent bank in SC and they were wanting me to take it to the closest port to ship it by cargo ship. Yeah like we have a busy port to do that in Colorado!

Anywho, moral of the story is do not trust these people and their evil ways. Most often they are from Nigeria and just want you to fall prey to their tactics in sending wire tansfers.
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009   #4

Flg, Az
Paddling Since: 1984
The problem is when you cash the cashiers check they send you, take your cut, send/ give the transport guy the money left over. Then a week or two later the check comes back bad and you get popped with the bill and your bank charges you
I had it on craigslist selling my boat too
relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #5
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Nigerian scammers should be monkey stomped and left for dead.
Old 05-12-2009   #6
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I've tried to sell on Craigslist and gotten responses from different email addresses that sound like this. For those who haven't seen them- the gist is that the person wants what you have to buy (but doesn't mention the item by name) but lives far away, agrees to send you a money order/ cashier's check and send someone to pick up the goods. They often also want name, address and phone number for "security purposes".

When I list on Cl now, I request that responses specifically mention identifying details about my ad or what I am selling- that helps me differentiate between the scammers and legitimate interest.

It is important to remember that the email address may look legitimate!

And why are we blaming Nigeria?
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
OR....have some fun with them:

Welcome to the 419 Eater

Before I get flamed, let's remember that these are scammers that have stolen from honest people....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #8
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
And why are we blaming Nigeria?
It's the center of their universe until they emigrate to NOLA ansd Houston.

C'mon girl work your google-fu

CNN.com - Transcripts