Saturn 14' Rafts Good Deal? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-04-2009   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Saturn 14' Rafts Good Deal?

There is an add for 14' Saturn Rafts new in the box for $1300 on Craigs List (14' Saturn Self Bailing Rafts ). They are PVC boat but I don't know much about them. Anyone out there know if this is to good to be true or just a good deal. Thanks for your help.

beanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you do a search on "Saturn Rafts" or just look below, you'll find a lot of info on them. Personally I wouldn't want one even at the price they're going for - I've heard they don't bail quickly because the floor seals against the tube and blocks the bailing holes, and have heard they're not well built. That said, depending on the intended use (fishing on Class II?), one may be perfect for you.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #3

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
You get what you pay for. If you thicken up the top side with an additional wear pad, they wont pop as fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009   #4

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanack View Post
There is an add for 14' Saturn Rafts new in the box for $1300 on Craigs List (14' Saturn Self Bailing Rafts ). They are PVC boat but I don't know much about them. Anyone out there know if this is to good to be true or just a good deal. Thanks for your help.

my buddy bought one before run off last year, ran it mabe ten times in class III the seal on the floor blew out on it, because there is no pressure release valve they told him to patch it that didn't work and it separated in other spots, so he sent it back, they said they would fix it,this was last may they just droped a new raft off 8 months later cuz they couldnt fix the other one + i have heard a lot of war stories about Saturn rafts. I think you get less than what you pay for...
Jonathan Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I ended up getting a Hyside Rio Bravo - the cheap series, just because in the future when I want to trade up I want to have the option of actually selling my current raft. Doubtful anyone with river knowledge would buy a used Saturn.

You might want to keep that in mind too with a purchase as large as a raft.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I'd look at all of the used hypalon boats on the swap. A used Hyside will last longer than a new Saturn, probably.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
So the Saturn Dealer has posted on this site before, I wonder how he would respond to the warranty issue above? Lets hear it dude.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good deal?