San Rafael/Muddy Creek Runnable? - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2008   #1
 
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
San Rafael/Muddy Creek Runnable?

Curious if anyone can report back on Muddy Creek through "the chute" or San Rafael River (fuller bottom to bridge). We're planning to run both rivers first week of June. Doesn't look runnable right now but hoping they should be flowing strong by late May or first week of June. If anyone's been in this area recently, it would be great to know whats up...

jonestheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-23-2008   #2
 
alta, Utah
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 123
muddy creek

Mr. Jones,

It was flowing about 100cfs early this week...then this low pressure system moved in dropping the temps and the flow. I will get a visual on MC (at hidden splendor) this weekend while on my way to paddle Huntington Cr. & San Rafeal. Many people run MC at 100cfs and below but, there is not so much boat abuse when it gets up to 200cfs and above. I agree that it's going to be a great season for the rivers in that drainage..San Rafeal, Huntington, Cottonwood/Straight canyon creek, Price, Dirty Devil, Fremont, et al. We just need 5-6 consistent days of temps in the 80+ range.


BA
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #3
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 774
Looking at the hydrograph muddy creek should be runnable in the next couple days if the same trends keep up. I'm thinking about a 2 day trip through the chute as soon as it's runnable (Wed/Thurs). Is anyone else looking to head out there?

Nathan
970-232-6486
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-03-2008   #4
 
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Looking at the hydrograph muddy creek should be runnable in the next couple days if the same trends keep up. I'm thinking about a 2 day trip through the chute as soon as it's runnable (Wed/Thurs). Is anyone else looking to head out there?

Nathan
970-232-6486
Three of us are contemplating the Chute at Muddy... If the guage continues to rise to at least 150 cfs, we'll be there first thing Thursday, June 5 for a one day strike mission and then back to SLC that same night. Last night it peaked at 110 cfs but from what I hear 200 is the ideal flow. Good luck! Curious to know if you are able to run it at a lower level... keep us posted.

Scott
jonestheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 774
Just got back from Muddy, it was just below 100 the whole trip. We were able to get through with a lot scraping, wouldn't recommend it if you don't want to destroy your boat. The scenery was amazing and it was well worth the trip. Wait for water though, I would think 150 would be a minimum. Take two cars for the shuttle there is nobody out there and we almost hiked it but got lucky with a group of hikers. There was a great camp site in the deep part of the Chute where there is a big accumulation of drift wood. Wouldn't want to be there in a rain storm but for a clear night it was great.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
black boxes of the san rafael BrianK Whitewater Kayaking 12 05-26-2008 11:40 PM
San Rafael Snow Pack Beta?? ski_kayak365 Whitewater Kayaking 1 05-13-2008 05:02 PM
Black box of San Rafael swell flounderbuoy Whitewater Kayaking 3 05-24-2007 01:45 PM
Black Box: San Rafael oopsiflipped Whitewater Kayaking 1 04-22-2007 10:47 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.