san juan low flows? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2012  

conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
san juan low flows?

i've got a permit to launch on the 26th; the flow right now is 700 (? i think, it could have fallen some more). i've never run it at a low flow, it's always been above 3k.

so what's it like from sand island to clay hills at a flow of probably under 500cfs? i'm doing either a solo sea kayak or a pack raft trip and .......here's the kicker.....i have three days to do it because of a conflict in vacation schedules at work. lots of daylight. i know there's probably lots of other places i could go but i want to get back on the san juan.

a fools mission or what?

anybody run it that low?

thanks

dean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012  

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
It took us 4-1/2 days to run it from Mexican Hat to Clay Hills at around 700cfs last year (we planned on 3 days). Of course having a cat and oarboat slowed us down by getting bogged down on sandbars, not to mention strong headwinds. The IK probably could have made it out a day earlier, but that still would have been 4 days.

Having only 3 days to run from SI to Clay Hills at this low flow sounds pretty ambitious. If the weather cooperates you might make it, but I'd cut off the SI to MH part and just launch at MH so you don't bite off more than you can chew. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakeld View Post
i've got a permit to launch on the 26th; the flow right now is 700 (? i think, it could have fallen some more). i've never run it at a low flow, it's always been above 3k.

so what's it like from sand island to clay hills at a flow of probably under 500cfs? i'm doing either a solo sea kayak or a pack raft trip and .......here's the kicker.....i have three days to do it because of a conflict in vacation schedules at work. lots of daylight. i know there's probably lots of other places i could go but i want to get back on the san juan.

a fools mission or what?

anybody run it that low?

thanks

dean
Old 06-16-2012  

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
i don't think the blm will let you launch at mh instead of si.
guess you could ask.
i would suggest you launch at si and take out mh, take your time to enjoy it and have it be more of a vacation than an epic.

just my 2 cents!

bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012  

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
The BLM might let you launch at MH instead of SI, but I wouldn't expect a refund. Otherwise, launching at SI would be a good plan B.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86304 View Post
i don't think the blm will let you launch at mh instead of si.
guess you could ask.
i would suggest you launch at si and take out mh, take your time to enjoy it and have it be more of a vacation than an epic.

just my 2 cents!

bob
Old 06-16-2012  

conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
thanks

yup. i can probably talk to the blm and maybe switch. i actually hadn't thought of that option (s). but then again, maybe i couldn't change since they have all that stuff logged in. but it's getting so low folks are canceling so maybe i can a) get an earlier date or b) change to mexican hat. and from si to mh could be good...actually.

i'm not adverse to epics. i've been down the san juan six times, fast and slow, but always, usually, at high flows. it's all good. i just have a big need to see it and this is my time off window.

thank you