San Juan flows now that the big release is done? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-03-2012   #1

Send a message via AIM to mprobst Send a message via MSN to mprobst
San Juan flows now that the big release is done?

now that they are ramping down the release any guesses as to what the flows will be for the next two weeks? I have been down at 1500 and remember it as fine, remember another trip that took out with only 6 or 700 CFS as having some really long days, and difficult route finding in the sand bars below slickhorn or grand gulch.

I saw the info about keeping flows at 500 to 1000 with the release from Navajo dam, does that include the animas flow, or we will see 500 to 1000 plus the animas flow?

thanks

Mike

mprobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012   #2

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
I believe the release from the dam will be 500. Add the flow of the Animas and subtract *a bunch* of upstream diversions. I think the flows for the next 2 weeks will be nice.
AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We are only planning to be releasing 500 cfs from Navajo for a while now, likely through the month of June. The Animas is dropping fast though, so flows will be getting pretty low. Looks like this week will average around 1100 cfs down at Mexican Hat, the second week of June will average around 850cfs.

Susan Novak, P.E.
Hydrologic Engineer
Reclamation
Western Colorado Area Office
[email protected]
970-385-6560
sjnovak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012   #4

Oakland, California
Susan,

Thanks for posting state-of-the-art flow info. Would you be able to comment on probable flow in the THIRD week of June? Are we on the inevitable decline to Navajo release only? By the time it gets to Bluff, how much of that 500 cfs remains?

Short of yourself, of course, is the CBRFC the best source for flow projections?

Thank you again for your kind input.
MrToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #5

Send a message via AIM to mprobst Send a message via MSN to mprobst
Thank you

thank you Susan, I really appreciate the time you and other water professionals spend helping us to figure out how things are going to work out year to year.
mprobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The third week of June we are currently forecasting around 750-800 cfs at Mexican Hat (too far out to be sure).

I am always giving you the forecast at the launch point (Mexican Hat, or Bluff) so this is the Navajo Release, plus Animas and other trips, minus diversions, etc. It's all already accounted for in these numbers. We get our initial forecasts from CBRFC, so yes they are a good source. We then incorporate activities at Navajo and various diversions to come up with the forecasts we give you. Feel free to call for more information.

Happy Boating!

Susan
sjnovak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #7

Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Everybody always says how bad it is navigating sand bars below Slickhorn at low water, but I'm curious if anyone remembers any problem areas on the upper part of the river before Mex. hat? I'm taking heavily loaded 16' bucket boats down there June 18th.And Thanks for the info on the flows.
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
We have a permit for the lower San Juan in the 1st week of August. Feeling like we're gonna be SOL looking at the river flows. What is the lowest recommended flow for this section in 16 ft rafts? We have kiddos also and fighting sand bars while trying to keep everyone happy might not be worth it.
BaseCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseCamp View Post
We have a permit for the lower San Juan in the 1st week of August. Feeling like we're gonna be SOL looking at the river flows. What is the lowest recommended flow for this section in 16 ft rafts? We have kiddos also and fighting sand bars while trying to keep everyone happy might not be worth it.
Actually, August can be one of the best times to float the Juan. Monsoonal moisture usually brings the side channels up a bit, but it is usually hit or miss, or hit with more trib inflow than one would really want. I wouldn't give up your permit just yet.

I have always used 500 cfs as the general cutoff for normal sized rafts. We will be keeping the base flow near that mark for most of the summer, as we release more from Navajo as needed, but sometimes the timing can be tricky and you may see flows in the 400's at times until the increased release can make it there. It becomes an operational roller coaster when we get into a pattern of monsoonal rains followed by hot and dry periods.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #10

Placitas, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
We did the whole thing on the first week of August last year and it was great. The rains brought it up just in time but it was dropping when we got back to Bluff. We started with 1,200 and ended with 900. Think rain!!!!!
tcat is offline   Reply With Quote