Salt River Permit Fees - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-08-2009   #1

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Salt River Permit Fees

I was wondering if someone can clear this up for me. What is the total cost for a salt trip? $10 USFS permit app fee $125 USFS permit fee any USFS per person fee ? Apache fees ? per night ? per person ? Any good Put in camping ? Take out camping ? Free ? THANKS

swimteam101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think the Apache fees were something like 20/night last year. I believe it is theWhite Mountain Apache Tribe that you pay, but the San Carlos Reservation is right there too. You only have to pay them for the nights you spend on their land, i forget how many river miles it is till the wilderness border, maybe mile 20 at Gleason Flats? It's marked as mile 40, counting up from the reservoir, on the old black and white map in the first link below.

Call the Indians for more info at: 928-338-4385

Also check out:

Salt

Salt River Map, Arizona - White Water Rafting, AZ
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
No USFS per person fee, just the 125+10. Apache fees are 20 for overnight, 15 or 10 for day use per person. If you camp at the put-in, you need an overnight permit. They claim you need one for camping anywhere above Gleason, but river left turns into San Carlos Indian land about 4-5 miles down from the put-in (they have no fees), and it's illegal to camp on river right anywhere below guide camp until Gleason.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009   #4

As you can tell the Apache fee confuses people. My groups have always paid just $30 per person to the WM Apaches which covers vehicle accessible camping, too. We've always gone on below Gleason Flats which requires the two day minimum rafting fee and not done any day runs. See Official WMAT Wildlife & Outdoor Recreation Division - WMAT White Water Rafting Rregulations

We've gotten the rafting permits in the past at the Kmart in Showlow and the Carrizo Junction gas station. Sometimes there is a self-issue permit box near the bridge and the Tribal Police do show up at the putin.

With good flows and after the middle of March the putin is a zoo. The Apaches donít allow private boaters to use the vehicle accessible beach so you have to hike your gear 100 ft unless you putin under the bridge and run Island Rapid. There are a few shelters at the Muleshoe launch, but expect late night arrivals. You can continue down the bumpy river road a few miles to another campground thatíll probably be quieter.
There isnít a campground at the takeout ramp, but there is an RV park nearby where you can arrange a shuttle. The takeout has a reputation as not being a safe place to leave cars overnight.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #5
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Last February (before permit season) we paid $20 per person per day ($60 each) for a 3 day trip at the Kmart in Globe. In March, the permit was $125 permit fee and we paid $15 per person total for 5 days at the putin self-serve box per instructions on the box. We were also told at the Kmart that we needed a vehicle permit to park at the put-in over night, another $5 per vehicle per day. This did not end up being true either time. Take enough money as I don't think you will know for sure until you get there.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #6

I wouldn't leave a vehicle at the putin either unless I was using an outfitter to do the shuttle. The raft companies takeover the parking lot at Muleshoe.

Another thing that confuses folks is the USFS permit date is for when you go below Gleason Flat. Most people launch at US-60 two days before then.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #7
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
This year you do not have to put your launch date two days late either. You just put your launch date as normal and they know that you will be there 2 days later- brilliant.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #8

Durango, Colorado
^^^ Yeah, so make sure you apply for the day you actually want to launch.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadster View Post
As you can tell the Apache fee confuses people. My groups have always paid just $30 per person to the WM Apaches which covers vehicle accessible camping, too. We've always gone on below Gleason Flats which requires the two day minimum rafting fee and not done any day runs. See Official WMAT Wildlife & Outdoor Recreation Division - WMAT White Water Rafting Rregulations

We've gotten the rafting permits in the past at the Kmart in Showlow and the Carrizo Junction gas station. Sometimes there is a self-issue permit box near the bridge and the Tribal Police do show up at the putin.

With good flows and after the middle of March the putin is a zoo. The Apaches don’t allow private boaters to use the vehicle accessible beach so you have to hike your gear 100 ft unless you putin under the bridge and run Island Rapid. There are a few shelters at the Muleshoe launch, but expect late night arrivals. You can continue down the bumpy river road a few miles to another campground that’ll probably be quieter.
There isn’t a campground at the takeout ramp, but there is an RV park nearby where you can arrange a shuttle. The takeout has a reputation as not being a safe place to leave cars overnight.
Great post, I wish we had this info last year, it would have saved our group $30 each.

The self issue box was there for us last February, but we didn't see it until after we had sent people to go get our permits. It was a old BBQ grill lid, painted red, mounted on a steel post.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote