Salt River - Information Needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-26-2008   #1

Salt River - Information Needed

I have been invited along to raft the Salt River this April 26th. One of my long time friends has a permit. I just have no idea of what to pack, or what the river is like! Any help would be appriceated, I'm just starting my second year as a commericial guide, and thought this would be a perfect way to kick of the season!!

Ice Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008   #2

Palisade, Colorado
American Whitewater - NWRI - Salt 2 - US 60 to Hwy 288 above Roosevelt Reservoir

Salt River, Arizona

and do a search on this forum and start reading...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #3

Thank you!
I'm still learning how to search for posts here... and I was having a henious time trying to find things online! Much appriceated!
Ice Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
most important thing - bring lots of beer. then add some more.

check out the similar threads box at the bottom of this page - it has some links. then use the search tool in the bar on the pages top right side. if you have questions after reading through that stuff ask them here. also check out these links:

River Maps-Colorado Arkansas Gunnison Dolores North Platte Salt RiverRiver Rafting Trip Campsites
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #5

D'ango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hot, hot, hot.

Beer & cocktails. LOTS of sunscreen. A big shady hat. Sting & snakebite kit, and a screen tent w/ zipper to keep the creepy crawlies out of your bedroll. Block ice in your cooler & a wet towel on it, or no ice by day 3. And a light boat if going end of apr, prepare for low water.
Bornwithatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
We have an April 14 launch. Have been down there a ton of times, and expect there to still be decent water for that week, but it will be dropping. I expect it to be pretty freakin warm by then, great for naked evenings around the big campfire......
One item that a lot of us who have been many times have come to appreciate: a lightweight pair of long pants that resist cactus thorns. There is a ton of good hiking down there up the side canyons and even out across the hills among the saguaros. I've definitely come back from, let's just say an "altered states" hike, in shorts, with too damn many cholla and barrel cactus scrapes and spines in my legs. Found a pair of pants that were some kind of light canvas/nylon and started using them, and my legs stopped ending up like pin cushions.