Salt River Apr 24th '08 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-23-2008   #1

Oak Creek, CO (noon bell, bitches), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Salt River Apr 24th '08

Hello, I pulled a permit for apr 24 this year. I know that the Salt has tendancy to lose its momentum but are there any thoughts about this... smart to plan and cross fingers... or is the risk of rock dodging/ dragging ridiculous? any beta would be appreciated- thanks

ritatheraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008   #2

Durango, Colorado
We ran it last year first week of March when it was an average flow of 280 cfs. We had to put on at Gleason Flats and skip the upper 20 miles as well as line the rafts through Blackrock. (we had a fully loaded 16 footer as well as one 15 and a couple 14s) There was definitely a bit of pushing over a few gravel bars, but aside from that it was an awesome trip. I think minimum for the upper 20 miles is probably about 750-800 and you could run Blackrock as low as about 650 or so. But it's an awesome trip, so go!

(I just scored a March 28th launch as well...stoked!)
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #3

land of the zulu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
rita the raft sounds like a hot boat. i wonder if ill be able to catch a ride on her one day....again. drunk times thursday. you in?
kingofzulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008   #4
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
That is pretty late in the season, but the permitted season goes through May 15th, so with a good water year like we're having you'll probably be fine- hard to tell with the Salt. Check out this table and you'll see the flow is extremely variable.
When did you get your notice BTW? I applied but haven't heard yet- I'm dying to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritatheraft View Post
Hello, I pulled a permit for apr 24 this year. I know that the Salt has tendancy to lose its momentum but are there any thoughts about this... smart to plan and cross fingers... or is the risk of rock dodging/ dragging ridiculous? any beta would be appreciated- thanks
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #5

you bastard. Rita is not some rubber town "bicycle" you know.
Old 01-23-2008   #6

Take Me to the... I got my permit in the mail the 18th... I didn't get my first 2 choices and wonder if the april 24 got transformed from april 04... either way, it is a good option to have. I noticed the chart in my earlier research. Have you run it before?
Old 01-23-2008   #7

Durango, Colorado
Keep and eye on this graph once you get closer to your launch date. Pretty accurate flow predictions.

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Phoenix: Salt River near Chrysotile -Salt River Canyon
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #8
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I haven't run it yet, but I've been waiting for this one all winter, so I've done tons of research. I hope the delay doesn't mean I didn't pull a permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritatheraft View Post
Take Me to the... I got my permit in the mail the 18th... I didn't get my first 2 choices and wonder if the april 24 got transformed from april 04... either way, it is a good option to have. I noticed the chart in my earlier research. Have you run it before?
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #9

I don't know, I wish you luck though. What are some of your research findings, if you don't mind? I am more than happy to keep you in the loop for this trip, if you would be interested. You can take King of Zulu's spot. hahaha.
Old 01-23-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
I hope the delay doesn't mean I didn't pull a permit.
Now that I know people have pulled permits, I am hoping the same thing! Johnny... did you pull one?
ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote