Salt permits? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-30-2010   #1

Salt permits?

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get on the Salt....we didnt get a permit from the lottery and we are trying to put on sometime between march 31 and june 4. any help would be great

Powderhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
you can run the daily section with just an apache day use permit. or as the flows drop below 1000 later in the season call up the Forest Service in Globe to see about cancellations. lots of people bailed on their multi-day permits last year while the Salt held strong at 700 to 900 all the way through april.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #3

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderhunter View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get on the Salt....we didnt get a permit from the lottery and we are trying to put on sometime between march 31 and june 4. any help would be great
Since you applied for a permit and didn't get one, you can call and be put on a waiting list. The info was in your loser email.
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010   #4

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
We put in 5 permits last year on the lottery and all five came through. In fact, it was the only five they got! I don't know why they have a lottery at all. Call down there see if they will give you some inside info. They seem pretty good at giving info. They never checked us and our group was the only group I saw on the river. Good luck!
mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Poach that shit. Permits are for pussies, or rafters.....
Old 02-01-2010   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
On 4 permited Salt floats, I have never been checked while on the river.

While camping at the Mulehoof access point, the Apache Nation Ranger comes by and check on most all the trips. The USA Ranger a few times.

Either myself or others in my group have also been checked by Apache Rangers while driving along the road down to the big private camping area.

My guess is you might easily get by unchecked with a poached run on the river.

My guess is you would stand a good chance of a road check especially with boats on your vehicle.

I have heard the Apache Rangers have the option of impounding your boats and vehicle if they catch you with out a permit on Apache Nation Land. Not sure if this is true or not, but depending on the Apache Ranger's day going and how the person responded to being checked - it could be pretty expensive to attempt to poach but get caught.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #7

Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
Dudes,

don't be talking about the poachin' shit here.

next thing you know there will be another thread about the "- --v-".

not cool.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #8
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
I have heard the Apache Rangers have the option of impounding your boats and vehicle if they catch you with out a permit on Apache Nation Land. Not sure if this is true or not, but depending on the Apache Ranger's day going and how the person responded to being checked - it could be pretty expensive to attempt to poach but get caught.
Last year as we floated past the end of the Daily section, the Apache rangers were waiting for a group that had not paid the permit fees. They said they were going to confiscate all boats and equipment and that it was their legal right to do so. When we asked what happened then, they said they would impound the stuff and the people could petition to get it back later. They also said they would not even give the people a ride out of the canyon.

So go ahead, "poach that shit."
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #9

Vancouver, BC
Paddling Since: 1998
Any idea when permit winner have to send in their deposit - and therefore when waiting list folks could get called? Thanks.
thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #10

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalweg View Post
Any idea when permit winner have to send in their deposit - and therefore when waiting list folks could get called? Thanks.
21 days before the launch