Salmon River Flows - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-06-2010   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Salmon River Flows

Looks like the Main, Middle Fork and Lower Salmon all took tremendous jumps in flow in the past week. Out here in Oregon our rivers did the same due to heavy rain on top of above average snowpack for this date. I'm curious if the Salmon Basin has also gotten these heavy rains to trigger the big spike in flows?

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010   #2

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Yes...it rained every day last week combined with warmer temps at night. The Payette's spiked Fri/Sat. as well. Flash flood warnings were issued on Friday....
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #3

Boise, Idaho
In 9 years of paddling in ID since moving from CO I have never seen a release of 6000 CFS out of cascade. I guess they are testing the strength of the concrete in the new cascade WW park right out of the gate. That puts the NF prob around 7500. It's all you can eat astronomical volume class V+. Come and get it. Man I'm glad I'm working this weekend! Main payette went to about 21,500 yesterday. Again, this is the highest I have seen it.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
We are due to launch on the Main Salmon in 6 days. As of last week we were on the train to happy town, looking at nice flows for a fun family trip. Now it's at flood stage. At least 9 ft. at Corn Creek with rain predicted on & off this week. Not sure what will happen by Saturday, but we're thinking of Plan B at this point (maybe a Deso trip instead) ????????
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #5

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Yep, the Payettes were running big and brown yesterday. Touched both bridges with my paddle as I finished my runs.

The all-time high water record for the North Fork will be up for grabs for the next few days. The dam is supposed to be releasing 6 or 7 grand and there is still a good amount of flow coming in from tributaries. The lower 5 was bigger than I have ever seen it and the upper and middle look out of control and terminal if you were to come out of your boat. Stay safe up there.
Old 06-06-2010   #6

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Talked to a guide friend of mine in Idaho this am, he was getting reports of double layovers at campsites to let wood pass on the Middle Fork, and a scared guide who doesn't want to get back on the river. Lots of flips happening, be safe out there! It hit 8.68 ft yesterday and has dropped down to 7.3 feet and dropping steadily.

I wish I was out there... Not in my driftboat though! I still have two weeks until my first trip.....
willieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #7

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Sounds like an amazing phenomenon, same as out here. The Rogue jumped within a couple days from 2500 or so to 11,000 at Grants Pass, and around 20,000 at Agness. The Klamath went to 11,000 at Seiad and 30,000 at Orleans; the Cal Salmon to around 9500. Insane amount of water that typically only rises that fast during Pineapple Express storms in January! But basically that's what this series of storms was - prolonged warm rain on top of a high elevation snowpack. I have deferred a scheduled Rogue trip a couple of times now, waiting for a more reasonable 6000 cfs or so flow (plus hoping the sun will come back out someday).
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #8

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Sounds like an amazing phenomenon, same as out here. The Rogue jumped within a couple days from 2500 or so to 11,000 at Grants Pass, and around 20,000 at Agness. The Klamath went to 11,000 at Seiad and 30,000 at Orleans; the Cal Salmon to around 9500. Insane amount of water that typically only rises that fast during Pineapple Express storms in January! But basically that's what this series of storms was - prolonged warm rain on top of a high elevation snowpack. I have deferred a scheduled Rogue trip a couple of times now, waiting for a more reasonable 6000 cfs or so flow (plus hoping the sun will come back out someday).
I grew up in Grants Pass, and my folks are still there. I'm hearing the same crazy reports about Southern Oregon. The Lower Rogue is actually pretty fun at those higher levels (as long as there's not too much lumber). Lots and Lots of water everywhere, including Anacortes, where I'm currently stuck for the time being...it just won't stop raining.
Old 06-06-2010   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
The Rogue jumped within a couple days from 2500 or so to 11,000 at Grants Pass, and around 20,000 at Agness. I have deferred a scheduled Rogue trip a couple of times now, waiting for a more reasonable 6000 cfs or so flow (plus hoping the sun will come back out someday).
My son is supposed to be getting off the Rogue today after launching June 2. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about the high water.
Old 06-06-2010   #10

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
My son is supposed to be getting off the Rogue today after launching June 2. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about the high water.
One thing I can bet my money on: VERY short days on the river!