Old 02-25-2008   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Salida Pole Pedal Paddle Race

The Salida Pole, Pedal, Paddle Race
3p Salida
When: April 19, 2008
Where: Salida, Colorado
What: A multi sport race that starts at the top of Monarch Pass with a 7mile, backcountry ski leg, and then 22miles of mountain biking to the Arkansas River to finish with a 6mile whitewater paddle into downtown Salida.
Who: Menís, Womenís, Juniorís and Mixed Teams or Individual hard-women, hard-men or hard-kids.
Why: Proceeds from the race benefit the Arkansas River Trust, a non-profit organization based in Salida and committed to ensuring the long term health of the Upper Arkansas River and protecting its place in the culture and economy of the communities the River passes through.
A few of my friends and I are putting this race on this spring in Salida. We ran this race from 1999-2001 and it was super fun. It is coming back this year as a fundraiser for the Arkansas River Trust. Hope Buzzards will come out and support. Cheers! Mike

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
nice, that sounds like a lot of fun! lookin forward to it....
Old 02-25-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I was inspired by this and just registered. I can't tell how hard it is really going to be. I am not trying to win, but to have a respectable time....How long was the average times in past year? How many skin changes are on the ski? I couldn't really tell from the topos, but it seemed like one uphill and one downhill.
Browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Is there a gravity only option here? Something like ski/snowboard down from the top of Monarch, downhill mtn bike, then raft with a cooler of tasty beverage to the finish line? Perhaps with bonus points for the number of people in the raft and the best costumes worn?
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #5

Hey,
We are mountain biker and a skier from Grand Junction looking for a paddler to join us for this race. We are in good shape late twenties-early thirties, and expect to be pretty competitive. We will be entering the Mixed Gender category. Anyone interested in being our paddler please give us a shout! [email protected]
pedalerpoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #6

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browntown View Post
I was inspired by this and just registered. I can't tell how hard it is really going to be. I am not trying to win, but to have a respectable time....How long was the average times in past year? How many skin changes are on the ski? I couldn't really tell from the topos, but it seemed like one uphill and one downhill.
most people try to do the ski portion without any skins, so either kick wax or a nordic type ski with scales. You are correct one uphill, one downhill then rolling through the trees.

average times were about 3hrs 15mins I beleive. A lote depends on where the snow ends on the ski course. Some years you could ski right to the transition, one year people were running the last little bit.

keep the registrations coming...thanks for the support thus far! Mike
Old 02-29-2008   #7

Chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 04
Send a message via AIM to rklein Send a message via MSN to rklein
anybody that likes this would probably also be interested in the clear creek challenge: http://clearcreekchallenge.org/index.html

Its scheduled for June 14,2008. Here's a description:

The start will be at Loveland Ski Area with an elevation of 10,600'.
The race begins with a 5 mile sprint across a dirt trail to Bakerville 9,780'. It is here that riders will mount their mountain bikes. The mountain bike leg will take riders from Bakerville into the historic mining town of Silver Plume along the frontage road.
From Silver Plume, riders will then climb uphill on dirt to Pavilion Point, down to Guanella Pass Rd and over to the abandoned mining town of Silver Dale.
From Silver Dale riders will enjoy another new section of rolling trail that will drop them into
Georgetown by the water tank. From here it is mostly dirt roads through G-town (Taos St - 6th St - Main St, Saxon Mtn Rd) At the first switchback of Saxon Mtn Rd, riders will stay left (looks like your going down a driveway) to link up with the Silver Creek Trail.
Bikers will finish their leg in the town of Lawson(8,000') where the HIGH WATER whitewater section will begin. This section is ONLY FOR EXPERT PADDLERS (KAYAK/CANOES/RAFTERS with solid rolls and self rescue). This leg is 12 miles of class III/IV whitewater excitement. The gradient is almost 90'/mile!!!
Paddlers will be going through the towns of Lawson, Dumont and Idaho Springs. This will take the racers to the finish line located across the highway from Kermit's Restaurant and Bar. (7,200') The total descent from start to finish is an incredible 3,400 feet. Awards, music
and beer will be held at Kermitt's Bar.

"There's a strange sense of pleasure being beat to hell by a storm when you're on a ship that is not going to sink."
rklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #8

Salida, Colorado
hey! Allright! Great event! One thing you might do is create your own topic about your great event and not poach mine. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2008   #9

Chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 04
Send a message via AIM to rklein Send a message via MSN to rklein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
hey! Allright! Great event! One thing you might do is create your own topic about your great event and not poach mine. Thanks!

Chill out man. The clear creek challenge is 2 months after your gig. And I'm in no way associated with the CCC(I live in Michigan). I was just trying to give anyone interested a heads up. I wasn't trying to poach your topic. I definately wouldn't have posted if the CCC date was earlier than yours or if the dates overlapped in any way. I definately wouldnt want to take away anything that was raising money for the Arkansas River Trust.

"There's a strange sense of pleasure being beat to hell by a storm when you're on a ship that is not going to sink."
rklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #10

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklein View Post
Chill out man. The clear creek challenge is 2 months after your gig. And I'm in no way associated with the CCC(I live in Michigan). I was just trying to give anyone interested a heads up. I wasn't trying to poach your topic. I definitely wouldn't have posted if the CCC date was earlier than yours or if the dates overlapped in any way. I definitely wouldnt want to take away anything that was raising money for the Arkansas River Trust.
I am pretty chilled out. In 300 some odd posts I have never gotten into it with anyone on this site...look it up. That is why I made a friendly recommendation.

And I am not going to get into a back and forth with you because that will detract from what I am trying to do which is raise awareness of the event I am putting on. So this is my last word on this one.

But if you post a long description of another event and then people start discussing it, that is in fact, poaching a topic. The Clear Creek Challenge event is great and I don't view it as competition with my event. But discussing another event here in this thread is competition for my event. Thanks for your understanding. Mike