Salida Paddlers - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-07-2007   #1

Salida Paddlers

Howdy. My wife and I are getting a house in Salida. I notice that there are pool sessions in the winter. Are canoes welcome or are ya all elitist and permit only kayaks?

BTW, are there other open boaters in the neighborhood or am I gong to be the only one?

We are hoping to meet and become involved in the local paddling community.

Chris Kelly

ChrisKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007   #2

oh yeah
never done seen one of them there open boats at the pool but it's a big pool so i'm sure it'll fit. can ya loop it? welcome to sa-lie-duh. where'd ya move from and what do you do for work (you'll hear this a lot) i just moved down in august from the front range. it's a cool town but i wouldn't tell anyone.

dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #3

Dan, No, I can't loop it. I am lucky to keep the open side up.

We live in Missouri but plan to spend considerable time in Salida.

I just retired but my wife is still working. (By the way, this is the best way to handle retirement.) We have boated on the Arkansas for maybe 15 years. I'll look foreward to seeing you on the river.

Chris Kelly
ChrisKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Chirs, welcome. There are a few open boaters around, but you will be in the minority for sure. Pool sessions are on Monday nights and they are getting super crowded. My 5 year old son is getting scared to paddle around the pool for all the folks throwing ends and flipping around. Right now they have no policy against canoes. Just don't spear my boy and we'll get along great....
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #5
cdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
can ya loop it?
is that a refference to a playboating move?

What's come over you since you left empire?
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #6

Hey Chris~~

I have lived in Colorado for the past year, and I currently live in Poncha Springs~~and I have paddled the Ark since the 80's~~but most of my experience is on Deep South whitewater~~and like you, I am and have always paddled a open boat! We are a rare breed here in the valley, but there is a good crowd from Denver and Boulder that paddle the Upper Ark om open boats!
Give me a call and lets meet up and talk about paddling~~I've yet to get out to work on my roll this year~~but you'll find, the Upper Ark ain't too friendly when it comes to rolling a open boat!! Ha! Its best to combat paddle your way down~~UPRIGHT!!
719-539-1439~~Mike Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKelly View Post
Howdy. My wife and I are getting a house in Salida. I notice that there are pool sessions in the winter. Are canoes welcome or are ya all elitist and permit only kayaks?

BTW, are there other open boaters in the neighborhood or am I gong to be the only one?

We are hoping to meet and become involved in the local paddling community.

Chris Kelly
MikenColorado is offline   Reply With Quote