Salazar Goes to Bat - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-02-2005   #1

Salazar Goes to Bat

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_3270357

Western Law makers are fighting the purchase of public lands for development.

chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to campe
send an email to oppose the land grab

It looks like Allard might come down against the land grab. We should do what we can to make sure he does. If you want to send an email opposing the land grab see the link below.

http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/po...=A7qDOkK1gzm3W
campe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to campe
put pressure on Allard

I just got off the phone with Allard and it sounds like he is going to oppose the land grab. Now is the time to pressure him. If you're opposed to this bullshit bill you should give him a call.

DC office: (202) 224-5941
Denver office: (303) 220-7414
campe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005   #4

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If that shit passes we'll have to resort to guerilla warfare.
Old 12-02-2005   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Allard's staffer says he "hasn't decided on the issue but is examining it carefully" - this means he's probably trying to figure out whether to go along with the Republican leadership or do the will of his constituents. The more pressure he gets from us, the more likely he'll buck the CON-servative leadership. Call Allard for sure, Salazar needs to be thanked if you've got the time.

You can call your Senators at:
Allard 303-220-7414
Salazar 303-455-7600

the key thing is to ask for them to "Please work to strip the mining subtitle out of S1932, the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005."

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #6

Allard opposes bill
http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_3285273
chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #7

It's good to hear Allard is opposing the bill and some of the articles are very encouraging about the rest of the bill's opposition.

But, I got really pissed off when I tried to send Allard a letter on that actionnews website. I went through and spent all this time writing and editing the letter they give you and then it says I don't qualify to send him a letter! Something about not being from the right area. What's this bullshit?!

I'm pissed Damn it!

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Its good to see that folks aren't looking at democracy as a spectator sport. Here are a couple of things think about when contacting your representatives.

1) However you send it, your message will be received and tallied by an overworked staffer who is also likely to be a partisan of whichever party your representative is from. Be courteous and get to the point quickly.

2) You don't need to structure an impassioned, detailed argument for your position. You should also be wary of burying your position deep in the text. Stating your position in the subject line or first sentence or two is all that's needed, they'll probably just quit reading there and put it in a pile of other letters for or against the legislation.

3) Different methods of communication carry different weights, which relate to the amount of effort it takes to send the message:

A personal, original letter directly from you, sent via US Mail or faxed if the vote's soon is probably the most powerful.

A phone call is probably second.

Canned messages that are pre-prepared, or messages sent via advocacy group websites where all you have to do is enter some personal info (which gets you on the group's mailing list) and click your mouse probably carry less weight than phone calls or letters. Think about how much attention you pay to spam messages that are broadcast by the bushel.

4) If you can reference the bill number or name the specific piece of legislation it will make things very clear which way you want them to vote. Saying "Please protect the environment" is not as easy for a staffer to relate to specific legislation as, "Please vote no on House Bill No. ####, The Blah Blah Blah Act of 2005."

The activist websites are great places to find out who you need to contact, get the bill number and legislation names, and an understanding of the issue. You can then either copy and paste the language into a personal letter you can sign and send, or use the info when making a phone call to your representative's office.

Keep those calls and letters going to your representatives and senators!

-A
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote