Safety Question, Need Opinions - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-21-2006   #1

Safety Question, Need Opinions

Well I just ordered a one piece dry top skirt combo deal. After I ordered it my buddy suggested that it may be dangerous as far as gettin out of the boat during a pin or other creeking situations. I got this thing for my creek boat especially so I would stay warmer and dryer not thinking that it could be any more dangerous.

What do you think are there really any significant risks to one of the one piece drytop/skirts??

Thanks, Granpa

Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006   #2

Yeah -- it's a hazard. Two fold: You can't get out of your boat if you're pinned in such a way that removing the skirt from the cockpit rim is difficult/impossible. Two friends were in this situation last year (in the same spot ). One of which actually had a smaller log piercing his skirt and wedged under the thigh brace. The additional hazard could potentially occur during a swim where the skirt snags on a rock, branch, log, steal beam. I've also seen this happen on the lover's leap section -- it tore the skirt, but he wasn't required to remove the skirt to escape.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You will however, love the thing in your play boat and probably won't look unfavorably on the purchase.
merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #3

It is designed to be used as more of a freestyle setup, but people do use them on creeks. It comes down to a personal choice.

It is rare that you will ever exit your kayak through your skirt, and if you can your gear probably isn't tight enough anyway, since you would have to be wearing your PFD very loosely. Secondly, you should definetly be carrying a knife to cut you out of your skirt in such an instance. The only time I have been pinned due to my skirt being pinned, I wasn't able to slide through my skirt, and it wasn't attached to my drytop anyway.

By the same token, you could argue that wearing baggy gear is dangerous in a swim. I swam twice last year with baggy pants on, and never once noticed them hindering my ability to do so.

Cinch your PFD down tight and carry a knife and you should be fine wearing a one piece. You should be cinching your PFD and carrying a knife regardless.

A friend swam out of Cauldron on Lake Creek last summer and was wearing a one piece. He didn't have any problem.
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Re: Safety Question, Need Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa
Well I just ordered a one piece dry top skirt combo deal. After I ordered it my buddy suggested that it may be dangerous as far as gettin out of the boat during a pin or other creeking situations. I got this thing for my creek boat especially so I would stay warmer and dryer not thinking that it could be any more dangerous.

What do you think are there really any significant risks to one of the one piece drytop/skirts??

Thanks, Granpa

I don't wear a full setup on creeks. It's not worth it in my opinion. If you want really dry get a dry suit. I mean how wet do we really get on creeks.

Scott
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #5

A one piece isn't meant to keep you drier. It's meant to be more comfortable because it has less bulk around your waist. Hence, a one-piece is designed for freestyle.
Old 02-21-2006   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch
A one piece isn't meant to keep you drier. It's meant to be more comfortable because it has less bulk around your waist. Hence, a one-piece is designed for freestyle.
When I was doing the freestlye thing we would use it to keep the boat dryer than the normal setup. As for bulk around the waste, it's not an issue for me. Nice IR skirt w/ dry top. Astral PFD and lots of smiles.

I just know I don't want to be swimming on a creek with a setup that I can't get off. All it takes is that one time. And as most of us know, we're all between swims and when you go big the swims are even worse.

Scott
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #7

I read you Scott. It's not the best setup for people that like to creek a lot, simply because it only takes one time.

As far of the drier thing goes, I've heard people say that, but I've never been convinced, even after owning both setups. Comfort wise, I do think the one piece is better. But, I'm more than content with the seperate setup. It's also better because you can use different skirts with your creek boat and your playboat. That alone could void the dryness issue.

I still have your email Let's rally some shit this year.