Safety Boaters Needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-22-2007   #1

Safety Boaters Needed

We are looking for Safety Kayakers to assist with the Annual Adventure Xstream Race to be held on September 8th at Pumphouse on the Upper Colorado River.

Safety kayakers will be needed all day on Saturday. Each boater will be paid $100.00 and receive an event T-shirt and lunch.

For more information please call us at 970-259-7771. You can view our website for additional information. http://www.adventurexstream.com

Kayakers taken on whitewater safety experience, then on a first come first served basis.

Please contact us with any questions.

Thanks,
Gravity Play Sports
Adventure Xstream Series

GravityPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007   #2

Still looking for a couple more safety kayakers....$100.00
Old 08-25-2007   #3

Do I hear $300.00?

How about $300.00 and a six-pack?
B.I.G.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Let me make sure I get your drift....Safety boaters get there early, stay late, (buy your own gas, beer and food, bring your own rescue gear) sit in one place alone all day, for around $10 and hour and a t shirt.
After gas and food, maybe you go home with $50, unless you drink a few beers, then you are in at $40 take home, and divide that by 10 hrs, wow, such a deal!

Not much interest?

Put that up on the high school message board and you might have better luck; but high school kids are smart these days so who knows.

Or pry that wallet out of your pocket and put up some money to keep your meal tickets safe.
fauxjaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
safety?

Will you provide all the safety equipment needed? That might get me over there.
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #6

Eldora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Wow, is this what kayaking has turned into? Money? It used to be that a kayaker would jump at the chance to make $100 (to kayak!!). That much money could keep you sustained for another couple of weeks of paddling without having to work. And don't complain about the gas needed to get up there, you should already be up there living in your van down by the river. Sounds like your "real" jobs are getting in the way of your kayaking.
skogorbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #7

Durango, Colorado
hey man I've volunteered to run safety already once this year. Is the event non for profit? So why should poors boater volunteer? And also, how much safety boating have you done? It sucks to sit by the river all day and not boat, but it is worth it to give back, when the event is worthy. I wouldn't give people shit for not wanting to do it. Are you going down there? But driving down to vail and working all day, I'd rather spend that gas on running some shit, or going climbing, as it's climbing season now cause the water is so low.

It used to be that a kayaker would jump at the chance to make $100 (to kayak!!

There is also something called inflation, I'm not sure if you're familar with this phenomenon, as my rig will cost me close to 50 bucks just to drive down there.

Sadly missed the safty question.
Old 08-27-2007   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketohike View Post
Will you provide all the safety equipment needed? That might get me over there.
You only have to provide your own gear, not additional safety gear.
Old 08-27-2007   #9

Durango, Colorado
you guys are hilarious...
Old 08-27-2007   #10
jk

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketohike View Post
you guys are hilarious...
When I look at the linked website, it looks to me as if safety boaters get $100 in credit not a clean crisp dead president; but who knows? Safety boating is worthy and not all that boring--I've whiled a way a lot of hours playing in eddies safety boating for FIBARK, one of the best non-profits around; but I am not sure that Adventurextreme is a non-profit--so it makes me wonder (in that nasty legal way to which I am sometimes prone) what the relationship is between the sponsoring organization and the safety boaters: employee-employer? independent contractor? intern? If you're being compensated, it looks like someone owes taxes, etc, and BTW who's on the hook if a safety boater gets hurt? Can you "volunteer" to work for a corporation? Just a few questions that probably should have answers . . . .
jk is offline   Reply With Quote