Safest hard rivers?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2010   #1

Charleston, West Virginia
Safest hard rivers??

What are some of the safest IV-V-V+ Rivers and creeks that you all know of? The Tallulah is the first thing that comes to my mind

Xtraheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Gore and Bailey would be the two around CO that come to mind.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Relatively speaking; (threads like this are certainly one way to spark up a hot debate), here's my list / suggestions:

1st gorge Lime, at medium / low flows. The 'big' drops have recovery pools and there aren't keeper holes.

OBJ isn't too hard or dangerous if you walk the 20 footer. That thing has damaged quite a few backs. Otherwise it's fast slides and manageable drops.

Upper East is quite easy. Good "1st creek" for newbies.

And anything roadside gives you an added level of safety, purely on access to emergency equipment.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010   #4

Come on guys, get with it.

"The safest, steep river in the country", Brush Creek in CA, just claimed a life last month.

Gore is far from "safe"

Your entire post is an oxymoron. Not even lakes are "safe". Life is not safe, we are constantly dodging things trying to kill us like: cars, AIDS, ex girlfriends, avalanches, lightning, rattle snakes and rivers.

"Your a moving target boy, so don't slow down." ..Craporadon - 7/22/10
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to bolsito
Seems to me that rivers and rapids are considered "hard" because of the dangers of a bad line. If a swim or bad line doesn't have the potential to result in injury or death, it's probably class III.
bolsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Are you wanting "safe" or a list of runs that would be a progression into the higher classes? Craporadon partially right though I'm wagering, based on his tone, that he's more hinting at decision making as being directly related to safety (in particular, his decision in girlfriends it seems). Safe is too simple, too monolithic to be used to describe what you're looking for. So what are you actually trying to find? If it's a progression, read up on the rapids, go look at them, and see for yourself. I'll boat certain listed IVs and Vs and I won't touch (not yet anyway) others.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #7

Park City/ Buena Vista, Utah/Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
"The safest, steep river in the country", Brush Creek in CA, just claimed a life last month.

WTF? Safe? I was going to call you an idiot, but I am refraining.
rippnskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
rippnshier- you just missed the point entirely. Brush Creek was for a long time considered extremely safe because it has clean drops. But someone recently died there, illustrating the fact that even runs that are often thought of as "easy" are still dangerous. Get it now?

Original poster- you need to ask a more focussed question like "what rivers have big clean drops?" You would get alot of good answers to that question. But when you ask about safe hard rivers, you get just going to get alot of people telling you that you don't know what you are talking about.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #9

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
People have broken their ankles and legs on Tallulah. Personally, I get really nervous at the top of Oceana.

I understand what your talking about...like running the 20 footer on S Mineral creek. Sure its rated Class V, but come on, you could run this on a tube.

I always think of Gore, OBJ, and Bailey as "tourist" class V...class V that has been run so much that the lines are well known and are not too tough.

What about Escalante, it you take out above the Falls? Or the Big South if you portage the big 3...there are usually pools at the base of the drops.

I think if you are a good boater, any Class V creek that lacks any large holes is pretty safe. The holes are what gets ya.

Paddlers skilled at the art of portaging can turn any class V run into a "safe" trip.

1st gorge lime, huh. I have only run the 3rd gorge but would love to run the 1st...gives me a little hope. I thought there was a hole at the entrance to adrenaline.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #10

Park City/ Buena Vista, Utah/Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Gotcha, My bad.
rippnskier is offline   Reply With Quote