Safely carrying kayak rescue gear so it is accessable - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-21-2012   #1

Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Safely carrying kayak rescue gear so it is accessable

I'm looking for opinions (and hoping to spark some dialogue) about the best way to have rescue equipment available in emergencies. I know having it on you is better than in your boat. Some like to carry a pin kit stuffed in their PFD. Some make a belt out of webbing and carabiners so those are always available without taking up pocket space.

So, what do all you Buzzards do and why?

Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
this is what i have when i go creeking. if i am rafting, tubing, or playboating i might pack differently.

on my person: tow tether, several carabiners, 14 foot flip line w/ biner around my waist, at least one pulley and prussik, knife, whistle

in a drybag in my boat: first aid kit, cpr mask, additional pulley, biner, prussik, calories (goo, candy bar, granola bar, etc), breakdown (sometimes handpaddles, sometimes a 4 piece), bituthane, and during cold weather there will be extra gear (skull cap, fleece, maybe gloves)

between my legs: 75 foot 3/8 inch throw rope that goes in my hand when i scout or pretty much do anything else
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I pretty much agree with you Tango, though it reminds me that I need a spare of some kind.
For my input, I love the Astral Green Jacket. Of course there's the tow tether, but I can also use the little side pockets to an advantage. I have a small med kit that lives in one all the time and the other holds a few biners and cpr face shield. My creek boat gets the larger med kit in it's own dry bag, large throw rope, pin kit, etc.
A new addition to my pin kit that I'm happy to have is a light weight folding saw... might make the difference for setting anchors or a z-drag.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012   #4

Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2006
What do keep your green jacket med kit in? What basics did you go with? I thought of stuffing something small in there, but keeping it dry? ziplocks tend to work only for a little while.... I agree to keep as much personal safety gear with you as possible, throw bag is much better as a waist belt not in your boat that you inadvertently are experiencing separation anxiety from!!!
hansvhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Tango's list seems dead on, Vibe, I also have the green jacket and as a guide and kayaker the rear pockets have come in handy more than once... keep my flip line and biners in them now, so easy to access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervibe View Post
I pretty much agree with you Tango, though it reminds me that I need a spare of some kind.
For my input, I love the Astral Green Jacket. Of course there's the tow tether, but I can also use the little side pockets to an advantage. I have a small med kit that lives in one all the time and the other holds a few biners and cpr face shield. My creek boat gets the larger med kit in it's own dry bag, large throw rope, pin kit, etc.
A new addition to my pin kit that I'm happy to have is a light weight folding saw... might make the difference for setting anchors or a z-drag.
KPC80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Tango has it spot on, glad he included the break down (not sure on the hand paddles unless you've used them before and not just on class 3). I have most of my pin kit on me but will probably reduce the size that I have on me so I don't get to weighed down.
here is my set up:
-2 non locking carabiners
-2 locking carabiners
-2 pieces of 10 ft webbing tied in loop
-2 pieces prussick cord
-2 ti-blocks
-2 pulleys
-1 belay device (had to use it this year in a rescue to repel to someone and
couldn't have gotten to him as without in)
-1 flint/magnesium stick (fire starting)
-some food ( a few cliff bars/candy bars)
-50 ft waist bag (might make this a 70 ft)
-knife
-whistle

In the boat:
-Breakdown (it just lives in my boat)
-2-3 ft bitchuthene
-first aid/survival kit
-75 ft spectra bag
-normally camera bag w/headlamp, lighter, food, extra cloths

my friend uses one of there to keep a small first aid kit in his life jacket: Aquapac Medium Whanganui Electronics Case - 658 at NRSweb.com
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #7

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I agree with [email protected] on the hand paddles, but there is no better way to get good at hand paddles than to purchase a set, and get good at them. Save your self spending the money on a breakdown. Check them out. Photos of Peak Performance Hand Paddles | Facebook
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #8

Casper, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1997
All I usually have in my PFD is a few carabiners, and some prussik cord. I have my tow tether attached, but little else. My throw bag stays between my legs in the boat. Though it goes with me for scouting. I do have a smallish dry bag that holds first aid, survival gear, food, and an unpin kit. It lives right behind my left ass cheek. I guess my big fear is overloading my PFD and canceling out it's floatation properties. Am I being overly paranoid?
JC5123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #9

Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 2010
I like JC5123's question... How much does having a bunch of safety stuff on you affect the flotation properties of your PFD? I've been carrying around four carabiners, three pulleys, two prussiks, a five meter flip line, knife, and whistle on me at all times (in addition to the stuff I keep in my boat). Is that not smart? Is the few pounds that those items weigh going to affect my flotation any more than if my weight fluctuates a few pounds or something?
kirbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #10

Professional Transient, See above.
Safety Gear

On my person:
*PFD w/ tow tweather
*watch
*4 autolocking biners
*2 2ft sewn spectra runners- I use these for anchors or tie a Kleimhesit knot to work like a prussik- I like flat tape better than cord.
*1 4ft sewn spectra runner (girth hitched to a 2 ft piece making my flip line worn around the waist)
*loudest whistle I've found (storm whistle)- if you know a louder one please tell me
*Waist-throw bag 70' 3/16"? spectra. I bought the line to replace some that was worn, and it's a bit too thin. Need to replace. I put the bag in my crotch under the sprayskirt so I can wear it while paddling and it's out of the way- want to modify it to keep the waist belt on me and only throw the bag (my current one the belt is sewn to the bag so I throw the whole thing)- will then add a pouch to the belt to hold pulleys.
*River knife (2 of them- bearclaw lives in the pfd pocket)
*lighter

In the boat:
4 more locking biners (1 of which is an autolock)
3 real pulleys and 1 "emergency" pulley (no frame)
1 tiblock
first aid
breakdown paddle- I took the idea of cutting out the silhouette of the paddle in the rear foam pillar so the paddle cleanly lives inside that now.
Katadyn filtering water bottle

Boat Repair Kit-
neoprene scrap (for fixing torn spray skirts)
water epoxy (texture of bubble gum- fixes holes in paddles and such)
ptex
Needle and Thread
Duct Tape
Some other random knicknacks that are escaping my mind right now for limping a boat home.

Survival Stuff-
Powerbar (will never go bad the thing is so manufactured)
Flint and Steel- practice with it regularly- building all the fires this winter at home with it.
Compass
cotton soaked in vaseline and wax/lint cube made in an ice cube tray.
Headlamp
Water purification tablets
All of this lives in a small pelican

8'x'10 Tarp w/ cord (weighs 10 oz or something. lives in the bow. I always forget it's there)

On remote, solo multi days I also carry fishing line and lures.

I would like to be able to carry the full pin kit on my person (pulleys are the only piece in the boat right now and not worn on me), but I figure that pulleys are more the icing on the cake and aren't crucial.
With technology these days, I'm surprised at how little weight most of the stuff I mentioned weighs- a few pounds. I keep the boat repair kit, mini first aid, and the survival kit in my storage/float bags, and everything is out of sight/out of mind aside for the pulleys hanging on some biners in the back of the boat.

Didn't think it was that much stuff till I started listing it here. I also like the idea of just carrying bitchithane for the boat repair that someone mentioned here (and I saw someone mention it a few days ago). I may get rid of the boat repair and just put a big piece of that in. Though, a long piece of bitch probably weighs more than what I currently am carrying.

After reading some survival stories in Alaska- one about how a guy lived 2 weeks b/c he had a lighter in his PFD after losing his boat and such, I try to keep as much on myself as comfortable vs. what's in the boat. I haven't noticed any difference in the performance of my PFD since adding items here or there, but it's been a gradual progression. I've swam enough times with this stuff on I know how it's going to perform I guess, and I'm comfortable with it.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access