Sad News - Waniac - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2013   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1965
Sad News - Waniac

Whitewater friends - Very sad news just reached me from Idaho today. Wayne Bath, who has been a regular poster to Mountain Buzz for many years as "Waniac", passed away from an apparent heart attack yesterday ( Saturday 5/18/13 ) around 2 pm. I have heard from his family that he was on the second river day of his annual pilgrimage to the Salmon, and had walked downstream to scout a rapid. When he did not immediately return, other members including a physician who is often on that trip each year walked to find him. When they found him they attempted CPR for about 45 minutes but could not revive him.

I am so sad as i'm sure are all those who have known Wayne as a friend and whitewater buddy over the years. He was a great friend, husband, and father and grandfather, would help anyone, told fabulous stories, and was probably the best whitewater rafter that I have ever known. I'm sure we will all miss him terribly.

Sorry if I have overreached using this list, and you didn't get a chance to meet Wayne. He loved to meet new people, get to know them, and point out his favorite routes through a rapid.

Details are preliminary and plans for services have not yet been set, but If you would like me to keep you in the loop for any details that I hear, you are welcome to msg me here on the buzz.

All the best to all of you -
Dave

rivrrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013   #2

Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Sad to hear this. Waniac was a really good guy. I loved paddling thru Gore with him and his other cat buds. There was always fun carnage. I remember when he sheered off both his oars running Gore rapid at the Gore race I believe. Good times!
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013   #3

Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrunr View Post
He loved to meet new people, get to know them, and point out his favorite routes through a rapid.
That describes Wayne to a T. Nice guy, and sad to hear this.
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sad news indeed. I met him several years ago at the Cross Mountain campground. He and his friend Dave drove up with big police lights mounted on the top of their truck and as he pulled up, the first thing he said is, "Don't worry, we're not cops." We camped with them that night and he shared a ton of stories about taking their little oar rigged custom plastic cat boats down all sorts of big drops.

I ran into him again on Royal Gorge several years back when it was peaking around 4.3k. We were at the takeout and we saw a raft fly down the creek unmanned. A few minutes later Wayne shows up with his buddy riding in the back. They jump out and Wayne dives into wild tails of watching his partner get dumped at Sunshine. I saw him a couple more times at the Poudre. He was the friendliest guy, full of good spirit and always smiling.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013   #5

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Sad to hear. I met him last year,doing some low low water laps on the Poudre. His little cat weighed a ton. Very nice guy though. I didn't realize he was Waniac.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #6

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
He apparently posted as "wayniac"
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I just saw Wayne, he stopped by to talk boating. We talked about getting on Cross Mountain when it dropped. He told me about the Sotar cat he bought and another older boat he had that I didn't know about. He offered that I could row one of them through Cross. I was busy (he came to my bar to see me when I was working) and we didn't get to talk as much as I would have liked.

I was with him the day of the Gore race that JDHOG72 is talking about. He, as well as I, were part of the safety crew. He got munched in the hole called Ginger in Gore rapid. A kayaker who also swam actually ended up ridding his upside down cat through Pyrite. We ended up leaving his boat there until the next day. But he had a smile on his face despite it. Actually I always remember him having a smile on his face.

This is sad news indeed. Rest in peace Wayne.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks BilloutWest that is correct. WAYNIAC. Please excuse my dyslexia.
Old 05-20-2013   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I am sad to hear about Wayne's death, but I am glad that he was on a river trip doing what he loved. I met Wayne through my rafting friends. I ran into him on lots of rivers including the Royal Gorge trip Kevin mentions where Wayne and Dave had to buy the tubers off who caught the wayward boat and had it tied on the back of their truck. He was a regular on the Poudre where I just expect to always see him. I was at the takeout at Idaho Springs having ran Lawson/Dumont at a 1000 cfs when Wayne and Dave cruise in with their cats with big smiles of course. I'll miss his smiling face on the river.
SueCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
I think that's the day I met you Sue. I was one of the two Daves on HardCats that day. I had lost my boat (and dignity) in a swim above Idaho Springs and had to walk down a couple of miles to reach Wayne and Dave Russell who had recovered it. We still floated in to the park with smiles.
Dave Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCherry View Post
I am sad to hear about Wayne's death, but I am glad that he was on a river trip doing what he loved. I met Wayne through my rafting friends. I ran into him on lots of rivers including the Royal Gorge trip Kevin mentions where Wayne and Dave had to buy the tubers off who caught the wayward boat and had it tied on the back of their truck. He was a regular on the Poudre where I just expect to always see him. I was at the takeout at Idaho Springs having ran Lawson/Dumont at a 1000 cfs when Wayne and Dave cruise in with their cats with big smiles of course. I'll miss his smiling face on the river.