s platte access at c470 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2009   #1
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
s platte access at c470

i found a post from a year ago saying access to the platte at 470 was closed then...

can anyone say if this access has been restored?

also the gauges say 430ish cfs, is that gonna be a pleasant ride on a 14' raft?

stribtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You can get to the Platte off of C470 again. 430 in a raft, that sounds low to me, but maybe someone who rafts might be able to chime in...
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
For that reach, 400 cfs is fine in a raft. you should be able to boat as far as the Zuni Power Plant though you'll probably want to take out at Union.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009   #4
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
For that reach, 400 cfs is fine in a raft. you should be able to boat as far as the Zuni Power Plant though you'll probably want to take out at Union.

why do you suggest the takeout at union?
what do you think about using the takeout at florida? its just a few blocks from my house.
Old 05-21-2009   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Union's a few hours float from C-470 and has a park where you can take out easily. I don't know anything about the take out at Florida. Let us know how the trip went.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #6

Parker, Colorado
Just to be clear, you can't actually access the parking lot off of C470. Take the south platte canyon road off 470 and go north, look for the turnoff on the right about a block up.
billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
430 sounds a bit low for a raft, but it is probably runnable, at least to Union. the drop at Florida will be pretty bony and sharp at that level as well as the one in front of the wastewater admin. building.

I don't see why you couldn't take out at Florida. There is a ramp all the way to the river there. Although you would want to be careful about parking a shuttle vehicle around there - don't block access to the inlet shed.

There is some ongoing work at the zuni powerplant that may make portaging that lowhead difficult. In the long run, that lowhead is supposed to come out, which is good news considering that is the only drop from Chatfield to Confluence that was truly unrunnable. Apparently that is an inflatable dam there...
davedlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #8
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
now we're looking at 550 coming through union... hope i can find some sunshine this weekend.
Old 05-22-2009   #9
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
wheres the takeout at union? i dont see a clear cut ramp on the satellite image.

above union ave? below the chutes? where do yall park and take out.

i think i want to run the chutes and take out below if thats an option.
Old 05-22-2009   #10

Parker, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stribtw View Post
wheres the takeout at union? i dont see a clear cut ramp on the satellite image.

above union ave? below the chutes? where do yall park and take out.

i think i want to run the chutes and take out below if thats an option.
The takeout at union is on river left, above/before the first drop. It's a wide concrete driveway, no issues with rafts, goes right up to the parking lot @ the park. It's hard to miss, there are signs warning of larger water downstream and a yellow sign near the driveway, talking about mussels. Park your car at Centennial Pond Park, near the ball fields, across the street from the waste transfer plant.

If you want to run all the chutes downstream from Union, just park your car at Oxford, in the bike access parking. Take out under the bridge at oxford, river left. They mowed all the brush and it's an easy climb with a raft up to the bike trail that goes under the bridge.
billcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access