Running the Colorado in Utah this weekend. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-05-2009  

Frisco, Colorado
Running the Colorado in Utah this weekend.

I have signed on using my husbands account. First post!

We are heading over to the Hittle-Bottom run on the Colorado outside Moab this weekend. We are planning on doing an overnighter in our river raft. We have not run this area before, so I thought I would just put it out there and see if anyone had any tips or pointers for us. I have already read up on EddyFlower. He is all about just jumping in, but I prefer to get a heads up prior to departure. Thanks for your input!

Be safe and have fun on the river!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2009  

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRider View Post
I have signed on using my husbands account. First post!

We are heading over to the Hittle-Bottom run on the Colorado outside Moab this weekend. We are planning on doing an overnighter in our river raft. We have not run this area before, so I thought I would just put it out there and see if anyone had any tips or pointers for us. I have already read up on EddyFlower. He is all about just jumping in, but I prefer to get a heads up prior to departure. Thanks for your input!

Be safe and have fun on the river!!
Pretty mellow stretch. Only rapid of consequence is White's rapid, but the hole is easily missed there (you pretty much have to be snoozing to hit it). If you are putting in at Hittle, camps are pretty scarce, with the best two being on river right at onion creek. You can probably find more info on this stretch if you do a forum search. Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2009  

Frisco, Colorado
Thanks for responding! We purchased a frame and oars recently (last year was all paddling), so we thought it would be a good river to play on - plus we have the pooches with us. We are not locked into this stretch but the others seemed too mild or a permit was needed. Do you have a better suggestion for us? Open to anything!

I'll search the name and see what I come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2009  

Palisade, Colorado
people call that the Moab Daily. Onion Creek camps are right "in" the riffle/rapid there, not below, so be careful not to miss them. they're great camps. there are a few good camps below Onion creek also, on both sides of the river, keep your eyes peeled...don't run right at Whites, and its all very straight forward...

watch out for Mountain Lions though, that run is crawling with them...
Old 06-05-2009  

Frisco, Colorado
Ooooh, ok I was trying to figure out if that was a good/bad newspaper in the area! LOL. I'll try searching under that name as well. I did find some threads a few years old where folks were debating the quality of that section. I figure at 21500 or so, it should make for a fun and sunny weekend run. However we are open to other suggestions.

Thanks for the heads up on the MLs. One of the pooches is fairly small and we are guilty of letting them roam; Looks like a leash 24/7 then. I'll make sure to leave the Catnip mosquito repellent at home too!
Old 06-05-2009  

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
I ran the section over Memorial Day weekend and camped at Onion Creek. As was mentioned, you really need to be heads-up or you can float right past the camp(s). Hug the right shoreline as you pass the Onion Creek confluence. I recommend stopping at the first camp if it's available. You can hike over the hill and see the next camp. I like that middle one best. There is a third if those two are taken. The only legal camping on river left is at the BLM designated campsites. Past Onion creek there really isn't much of anything for camping. If someone is camped at all of the Onion Cr. sites on river right, ask if you can camp at the other end of the beach. It will only take you about 45 minutes from Hittle to the Onion sites. Also as mentioned, if you aren't looking for a big hit, stay to the left of the wave train in White's Rapid. There are a few other small rapids.
Old 06-05-2009  

Frisco, Colorado
Thanks for the info! Only 20 minutes till I'm out of this desk and behind the wheel!

Side note... The lower blue is, can I say... EPIC! I recommend a run on it this weekend! Be safe! I'm just trying to escape this rain!