RRFW Riverwire – GROUP ARRESTED AT LEE’S FERRY - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-29-2007   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
RRFW Riverwire – GROUP ARRESTED AT LEE’S FERRY

RRFW Riverwire – GROUP ARRESTED AT LEE’S FERRY
January 29, 2006

Five members of a non-commercial river trip were arrested at Lee’s Ferry, Arizona, on Saturday, January 27, 2007, for possession of controlled substances. The five were part of a group of 14 preparing to launch a 30 day trip rafting through Grand Canyon.

The group was breaking down their camp and awaiting final trip orientation when they were approached by a National Park Ranger at the arrival of Coconino County Sheriff and Arizona Department of Public Safety officers.

The Law enforcement personnel subsequently arrested the five following a search of the group’s tents and watercraft with a drug sniffing dog based on a citizen’s tip of drug use. The dog detected a small amount of drugs. According to one of the trip participants, 3 ounces of marijuana were seized.

The five people were then taken into custody and appeared before a Page, Arizona judge in separate hearings. It was determined that misdemeanor charges would be brought in all cases and they were released on their own recognizance pending a future court date.

Since National Park Service policy allows any individual who has registered to call in and claim any available trip opening, a remaining member of the group, Mike Grijalva, immediately requested to claim the aborted trip launch. Mr. Grijalva registered to be considered for the lotteries held in the fall of 2006. He was advised by the National Park Ranger on duty that there were no available cancellation dates. The group then re-packed all their gear onto trailers, and returned to Flagstaff, Arizona, in an attempt to salvage the trip.

As of Monday, January 29, 2007, employees at the River Permits office at Grand Canyon National Park confirmed that there were indeed unclaimed river trips on Feb 1, 2 and 4, but Mr. Grijalva was informed by Park officials that none of the trip participants could claim any of the available dates, because of their association with the 5 individuals who were arrested and later released.

“It appears the Park overreacted,” notes Jo Johnson of River Runners for Wilderness “and is penalizing people who were not involved in any wrongdoing. Those folks have the same right to a permit as any one else, the launch is available and they are ready to go. It is hard to see the Park’s justification for denying them a coveted opportunity to launch based on their association with individuals who may never be convicted of any crime.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIVERWIRE is a free service to the community of river lovers from River Runners for Wilderness. Sign up your friends and family! Send an e-mail address to [email protected] and we'll add it to the RRFW RIVERWIRE e-mail alerts list. Join RRFW’s listserver to stay abreast of and participate in the latest river issues. It’s as easy as sending a blank e-mail to [email protected]. Check out our new items and donate at RRFW Store! RRFW is a project of Living Rivers. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007   #2

San Diego and Frisco, CO
Holy 4th Amendment Batman

Is there more to this story? Permits, shermits. I am a lot more concerned about the DPS and Coconino County sheriffs trucking in the drug dogs to bust some private trip.
Huh? What? I can't believe this level of law enforcement for 3 ounces of dope. Was there all the bud in BC waiting for distribution conveniently thrown in the river?
Both the DPS and sheriffs (nevermind the drug dog) have to drive in from at least Page, AZ to effect this kind bust. More likely Flagsstaff. And about the tip from a citizen? Whaaaa?? I've worked there. Its pretty sleepy. Did they not tip someone at Marble Canyon for breakfast, or perhaps a bad divorce?? Huh?

And ummm, tent searches. Was there sufficient probably cause? Any you law students paying attention. I smell a Law Review article. Does anyone care about this??????

If anybody has more FACTS on this, please chime in.

k
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
e-mail me your contact info

After extensive interviewing, I'm still in contact with members of this group. E-mail me off list a phone number where you can be reached, and i'll pass ti on to one of the group. [email protected]
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007   #4

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
"citizen's tip"...there's a special place in hell reserved for that dooshbag.
Old 01-30-2007   #5
sj

First of all it's a National Park . It is highly patrolled Families, Red neck fishermen and retired people. All use this area. And all people in this demographic are not fond of Pot Smoking. Law enforcement people in the area are not nice and will profile. You can bet your bottom dollar a businessman in Page would not be treated as badly for a DUI as these people were for a misdemeanor pot possession.

So once again smokers are their own worst enemy. They were being indiscreet someone in the general public got offended. Local law enforcement got overzelous and boom we all are gonna have to learn the trail at 4 mile. Be discreet it is illegal yano. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Pathetic! I'd be soooooooooo pisssssssssed!

This is a perfect example of why we need at a minimum marijauna reform. The cost of the officers time, the dog, the court etc cost more than the stuff they seized I'd bet. Don't they have anything better to do? What a pathetic waste of time. Snuffing someones grand trip is akin to pouring gas on the christmas tree and the presents christmas morning and torching the whole thing. Screwing the rest of the crew over it is equally as bad. For christs sake, give them a ticket, or a summons to show up in court a month later at least, and let them go on the grand trip. Bastards!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #7
sj

Nice post dsp. The fines these guys end up paying will be about the 85 in a 55 range. Just silly. But a point is that the Park Service Law enforcement people have a bit of the Mall Security gaurd mentality in them. And they will go over board everytime they think they have a live one. Just something to remember when dealing with these people. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #8

from Lonely Dell to a jail cell?

unfortunately, sj is probably right about the "own worst enemy" quote. I have witnessed this personally, and it ain't pretty. Super Dave and Capt. Kangaroo have almost nothing to do except drive their (our) $70000 crime fighting machines the 2 miles of pavement from the launch to the office to their (our) houses. For private trips, if you party at the ramp/launch you will hear about it from the ranger, guaranteed. If you do the same on a commercial run, same result. imho
shane247365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
As of Monday, January 29, 2007, employees at the River Permits office at Grand Canyon National Park confirmed that there were indeed unclaimed river trips on Feb 1, 2 and 4, but Mr. Grijalva was informed by Park officials that none of the trip participants could claim any of the available dates, because of their association with the 5 individuals who were arrested and later released.

“It appears the Park overreacted,” notes Jo Johnson of River Runners for Wilderness “and is penalizing people who were not involved in any wrongdoing. Those folks have the same right to a permit as any one else, the launch is available and they are ready to go. It is hard to see the Park’s justification for denying them a coveted opportunity to launch based on their association with individuals who may never be convicted of any crime.”
WTF!! Does this mean there might be a chance of having your trip canceled because someone on the trip gets a traffic ticket on the way to the put in?? Denying the other trip participants a launch over this kind of BS is soooooo wrong. Next they will be wanting to bring out the dogs for all private boat launches.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #10

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Wow,what kind of piece of shit calls the police b/c they smelled(or saw) weed on some random people on the river. Way to ruin the trip of a lifetime you fuggin losers. Get a life. So what, they were smokin ganja in best joint point on the earth. Can you blame em?

Go do somethin,ya dickbags. I hope your kids smelled it and got second hand highs. Imagine the harm that would cause!!! Those kids probably woulda went thru bags and bags of chips.
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote