royal gorge on Friday???? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2005   #1

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Send a message via Skype™ to tsavo
royal gorge on Friday????

Looking for someone to kayak the gorge with???

tsavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005   #2

C.O.
I get off work at 4:00pm and can be at the takeout at 4:30pm. We'll want to hit the wave at this level, so do you want to take out at the wave?
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #3

Arvada, Colorado
The wave???

I don't know...what is the wave??? I'll meet you at the take out though. Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2005   #4

How is the gorge at this level? I've heard that the left line at Sunshine washes out and can be run cleanly.

I have run it at 1600 in a playboat and it was starting to get pushy. Any new things to look out for? How are the 3 named rapids? Any beta would be appreciated. (Ed, I know you'll chime in, you seem to be the Ark Valley expert.
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #5

C.O.
Kinda a big post here but I'm trying to ensure someone else shows up... it took me 45 minutes to hitch a ride back to my truck Saturday and that always sucks.

The Canyon City wave is a man-made double drop. The parking area is a dirt lot that the CDOT uses to store piles of sand/dirt for construction or snow removal. To get there, You are driving on Highway 50 through Canyon City Westbound toward The Royal Gorge. Just as you are leaving town, you pass Territorial State Prison on your right against the cliff. directly after the Prison the highway curves 90-degrees to the right. At the beginning of the curve you turn off on the LEFT parallel to the railroad tracks. Park near the giant trees at the end but try not to block access to any of the dirt piles just in cast CDOT needs to load up.

Last run down was Sunday just under 1500 cfs, and all the traditional lines are there. The lines you take at 300-400 are still there, but the rocks you went around are now holes to go around... so nothing has changed in that regard. The low water holes are flushed. Even the sticky low level hole on the bottom right side of sunshine was starting to flush.

I guess I'll work my way down the river.

Primero is just big waves, fast surfable, but very hard to catch the bigger one near the end and zero eddy access. The big rock at the bottom shelters a neat looking wave to the point of becoming an undercut, so keep you bow angled right if you flip.

Segundo has that nice hole to pencil in. It won't hold you, you have a long recovery pool, so grow a pair, stay hard right, find the micro eddy against the cliff, point back left and bombs away!

Tricero is jsut a couple big wave-drops now, nothing else to say really.

Pumphouse had those wonderful enterence waves. No rocks. Pumphouse itself is just big choppy seas and waves. A good surf hole at the bottom. Alot of those waves before you get to sunshine will make all you wave-wheelers happy.

Sunshine,

I expect the Fridays flow to be 2400-2500 cfs so that hole will be even more of a non issue, but the the big line of rocks on river left below the hole and upstream of the "hemroid rocks" will be getting nasty.

I still like the s-turn uptop, but anything goes really. You can easily eddyout just above the hole below on the right. The eddies beside the hole are now one big giant eddy but you shouldn't need it because the tongue next to the hole is now about 5+ feet wide. After the hole, that rock that forces you to jump over to the left side of the river is now underwater. You can just go straight over if you like fun shot-gun drops with a hole to blast through at the bottom. Or take the traditional line, but don't let it take you to the left bank.

Grateful Dead is almost completely rock free, just big waves and holes to negotiate and play.

Sledgehammer, all lines are there. If you get lost go left, if you get off line think left. THe 2nd drop is still big fun on the right but Left is good all the way down. I say "left" because at the bottom right it culminates with Clarks Hole. If the last time you ran it was 300 cfs, it will suprise you how fast it approaches at 2000 cfs. I didn't think I was there yet and was on the right and almost dropped in..... That would have made for a really crappy solo trip.

The narrows are back. Lots of big surf waves precursed with a giant bludge of green water that my intimidate some form staying centered and dropping in sight unseen. But I can tell you that if yoiu go around you will kick yourself.

Wallslammer is scary looking but just stay a little left of center and it is cake. The farther left, the bonier, the farther right, the closer to the wall, so adjust to your comfort level.

At the end of the wall after all the holes, against the wall can be found two good waves. Must surfs.

constant waves to corner pocket. Be sure you know which side your group is planning to eat lunch on, because you can't cross back from left to right after you've run it.

Boat eater hole is missed if you stary right. Sticky bad stuff in there.

Before you get to Lion's head, you will find the best wave train in the Gorge. Monster waves, no rocks, straight line, but surf at the bottom.

Lions head is just bigger lions head, but the waves after are great.

Pipeline, anything goes, but a fun boof if you go center to left at the bottom, crossing the left to right current.

I expect the Fridays flow to be 2400-2500 cfs so that hole will be even more of a non issue, but the the big line of rocks on river left below the hole and upstream of the "hemroid rocks" will be getting nasty.

It's all read-n-run if you are familier with your boat on big waves but we can scout as needed on the big 3 rapids.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Old 05-25-2005   #6

Arvada, Colorado
gorge

ED,

I might have to wait this one out....my first big run of the season probably shouldn't be in class IV....although I can be persuaded!!!!???
Old 05-26-2005   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Hey Ed, I was on the cc wave Wed night. It was fast enough that it kept pushing me off. Could be lack of skill for sure but I was surprised that it wasnt keeping me on even in a front surf. Have you seen the same thing around 2200?
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #8

C.O.
tsavo: I'm not gonna talk anyone onto a river that they don't feel comfortable with. That said, you got to start the saeson sometime, and it's only gonna get bigger from here.

gh: The bigger it gets the better the surf at the cc wave. I was able to surf it at 1500 in my creeker the other day, so it should be front surfable in a playboat right now.
Old 05-26-2005   #9

Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Ed,
I am interested in catching the gorge at high water this year. I have family commitments this weekend, but should have some time next week.
I have been a little disapointed that some skilled paddlers with the club don't want to run the Harder Ark runs at higher water. But i'm certainly not going to push anyone over their head.
CB
cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Ed.

I'm in for Friday Gorge. Let's Huck!
I'll plan on being at the take-out for the CC wave at 4:30 p.m. Friday.
Call me if there's a change.

-Mike G.
719-930-1634
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote