Royal Gorge in 15' Oarframe - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2010   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Royal Gorge in 15' Oarframe

At current levels and down to the 700 cfs base levels, how would it be to row a 15' oarframe down the Royal Gorge? I haven't had too many issues on Brown's but I was thinking there may be some tighter sections in the gorge that would make constantly shipping oars difficult or just a pain.

What do you think? I sure don't want to swim anyone!

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010   #2

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
It's actually pretty do able, I used to row it a lot at current flows. It'll be a little tight at sunshine, sledge, and wallslammer....but other than that, the rest is very manageable. It would be hard to escape those three without a bump or two.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010   #3

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
If you have passengers and they have a paddle you'll be fine. If they are just riding, you'll be fine, you may have to bang on some rocks and plan on some bouncing, but nothing bad.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010   #4

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
It's actually pretty do able, I used to row it a lot at current flows. It'll be a little tight at sunshine, sledge, and wallslammer....but other than that, the rest is very manageable. It would be hard to escape those three without a bump or two.
Ditto GoodTimes. My only advice is to ship quickly for you will hit a wall or two with your oars. Use oar locks vs pen and clips for quick pull in.
kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #5

Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2000
You could also grow some balls and buy a kayak, then you wouldn't have to ask obvious questions. The only thing gayer pushing rubber is doing it on the Royal Gorge - hands down the most over rated section of river in the country.
rgAHOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #6

niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
gorge in oarframe

and of course, if you are not familiar with the format here (if you want maturity- visit Professor Paddle in Seattle) - I will tell you that years ago I pushed my 16' Achilles with 10' oars through the Gorge at 700cfs- and at that time I was basically a class 3 boater- made the s turn above sunshine, nearly wrapped above sledge, banged around in the narrows, banged the wall in wall slammer, but all in all had fun-
you gotta start somewhere- so forget the elitist advice- go for it- and find someone to run with that will keep an eye on you- if I had the time in the next few weeks I'd gladly go- send my off a message and let me know when and where
wayne
wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote