Royal Flush: All the ARK classics @ 20 year flood!!!!!!! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-15-2015   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Royal Flush: All the ARK classics @ 20 year flood!!!!!!!

Big thanks to the Ark valley for flooding this past weekend! With Durango in the suicide water level column, thankfully the Ark delivered yet another epic weekend!

Did any of you Ark Valley folks get to enjoy this? The Narrow Escape Crew & friends from Durango just came and poached all of your gems at 20 year flood levels...no scouts-just stouts! Thing is, where were you BV & Salida??? Do any of you kayak anymore? Surely you weren't in Bakers at 6K...
We did not see anyone paddling the Royal at nearly 6K!
Only 2 boaters on the #'s at 4K
And only saw about 10 people on Browns!

side question...Pine Creek Rapid into Triple drop...no takers in our crew...so, what's the highest that has been run? there was a good line in there, but no safety, and with any problem at all it would have been a total loss on gear with a high likelihood of flush drowning. That was a HUGE chunk of whitewater goodness! We got this at a respectable flow a few years ago (I think high 2's or 3K), but Sunday did not seem like our day after drinking all your beer and partying with all your women Saturday night.

This is mountain buzz right, we can still talk shit!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150614_121135[1].jpg
Views:	249
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	10082  

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
"No scouts, just stouts"

.....and the one photo you posted was of your crew scouting.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #3

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg5hole View Post
Big thanks to the Ark valley for flooding this past weekend! With Durango in the suicide water level column, thankfully the Ark delivered yet another epic weekend!

Did any of you Ark Valley folks get to enjoy this? The Narrow Escape Crew & friends from Durango just came and poached all of your gems at 20 year flood levels...no scouts-just stouts! Thing is, where were you BV & Salida??? Do any of you kayak anymore? Surely you weren't in Bakers at 6K...
We did not see anyone paddling the Royal at nearly 6K!
Only 2 boaters on the #'s at 4K
And only saw about 10 people on Browns!

side question...Pine Creek Rapid into Triple drop...no takers in our crew...so, what's the highest that has been run? there was a good line in there, but no safety, and with any problem at all it would have been a total loss on gear with a high likelihood of flush drowning. That was a HUGE chunk of whitewater goodness! We got this at a respectable flow a few years ago (I think high 2's or 3K), but Sunday did not seem like our day after drinking all your beer and partying with all your women Saturday night.

This is mountain buzz right, we can still talk shit!!!!
Ok, I'll bite. Things have been getting done here, but, you're right, there's not a lot of people out in forces. Nevertheless, the water will be high for possibly a few weeks here. And to answer about high Pine Creek levels ... a few of us use to boat it regularly pushing 5k back in the early 80s. Tom Nofzinger, John Paris, Cully Erdman, and some others use to hand paddle it upwards of 6k. However, we have seen flush drownings several times over the decades. In fact, below triple drop becomes arguably harder than above and we had named the lower "Chaos" back in the day. It becomes about a mile long at those levels. Now days, though, I am old and not sure the ride is worth my family's grief. Perhaps again after the kids are well independent and I have freedom to practice in it as the levels rise to get comfortable again. It does become the "white mile".

Stay safe, friend.
Cheers!
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015   #4

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
That's an awful lot of shit talking when the rio was 3300 and not 4K in the Numbers. I was flossing a new creek yesterday. Here are some of BV's best running Piney at 4K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11&v=iOZ8Sn70jzc
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #5

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It was only 3,300 yesterday on numbers (thanks Phil), but still really fun. It was weird that nobody else was out there. Fine by me. I think everyone was busy driving around with their new SUP's looking for some calm water.
joejacksonframing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #6

Englewood, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
I think the runs are so quick that you don't see anyone else. We saw a local crew at the Gorge put-in on Weds. for their after-work run; we started about 10 minutes later and didn't run into them again. Tried to play where we could catch waves, didn't scout, it seemed like we were moving but they were faster. Thursday it was just under 3 hours for Parkdale/Gorge, 19 miles. We weren't pushing it, the flows just aren't conducive to hanging out and running into other parties.
Phil U.: thanks for the video link. It's impressive how good the top boaters are. Mid 2k's last week looked plenty stout to me on Pine Creek.
sfornst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Tony, hand paddlers at 5K in there, just sayin...

just curious what BV and Salida's cutoff is then if you're claiming 3300 and nobody was there, is it the 2200 like the sandbaggers guide to the whitewater says??? AHAHAHAHAH!!!!! We took Granite guage plus CCA, Pine Creek, and random waterfalls pouring out of solid granite rocks just like in heaven to get near 4K, of course they're your rivers, so 3300 works for us...but I was trying to give you a bit more credit over there in the Ivy League Valley.

Flaco, sorry about the photo, only time we stopped...#1.5 kickflop would have made Kayak Session for sure. There will be some GoBro footage of #4 that will be worth reliving, 8 colorful boats lined out evenly in absolute mayhem!!!

in the 80's boat designs huh Ken! Solid work!!!! We walked that beast in 2010 as well when that other video was taken...sooo good. One of the beefier pieces of runnable whitewater in the state at high flow. Such a gem!

In other news #1.5 launched me 15 feet in the air over to the right eddy where I landed upside down and backwards, a total spinout and flip to roll with air, dubbed KickFLOP as it was unintentional! Take that Ben Marr!!!

#4, wholly unforgettable in so many ways!

Sunshine, aside from the entry wave (which was magic) finally started to "wash out" down there. The Narrows on the other hand, well, you'll have to experience that yourselves! You guys know what they call it in France...Jorge Royal with Steeze!
Old 06-15-2015   #8

4100 a couple years ago was the highest I've been up there. I put in at the hole, Leif ran it all in his Nemesis. The play is good at those levels but I'm sure you hard ass Durango folks only brought the creekers. 3200 is the best level for the wave at 1.5.

Good to see your back healed up and you're getting out. Hope I run into you guys this summer.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #9

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Well... If you use the "Below Granite" gauge, located at the AHRA Numbers putin, you won't have to confuse yourself with all that addition.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?07087050

Our cutoff around here sometimes ain't about cfs but about out of town shit talkers.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for making me feel bad for missing boating. I traveled to DC to lobby Congress to not cave to attempts from the far right to hobble the Antiquities Act (which was just used to protect Browns), but now I'm back and getting as much time on the water as possible. Glad you boys got to fire up some big water. Any high water CC or LC laps?
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark