Rowing Gore - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-27-2009   #1

Rowing Gore

Just came across this forum--great stuff! I have a question that I know the safe answer to but want to know if it can be done.

Can you realistically row Gore? And I'm not talking with a create craft. Could it be done in a 13 foot boat, take the fishing frame off and just leave the rowing frame.

I would certainly want to run it a few times paddling, but at some point I'd like to film a fly fishing video in Gore.

Thoughts?

ColoradoSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It gets done a few times a season in a raft - more often in catarafts. Gore rapid can be a bit of a junk show - hard to make the crux move rowing due to the narrow channel - it's all about setting up and letting the water help you. It's a straight forward lining/portage spot - many commercial paddle trips portage/line it.

There are some big fish in Gore. A couple seasons ago a kayaker hit a solid 22" trout on the hear with his paddle, used his tow line to hook the gills, and paddled the fish to the take out. Some butter, sage and lime turned that into a hell of a meal.

Pearen and Wayniac have Catarafted it several times each. There was a guy rowing a green raft at gore this year along with a guy in a creature craft. They run a raft repair business. Good luck.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
the fishing in gore is awesome. evrytime i run applesauce i sit in the pool and wish i was laying over in there. i think that pool would produce some monsters.

the portage at gore kinda sucks for a rowboat but with a buddy or 2 and some time i think a fishing trip in there would be great. running the meat in gore rapid in a little raft could be bad for your health and certainly your fishing gear. the way to go would be to spend the night and spend most of the time wade fishing or spinning in the eddies between the big stuff. t batton down for the biggies.

for the record, jay (rowing the green cat) and dirk (rowing the creature) do not run the repair biz. they are buddies of mine and i sponsored them for the race, hence the logos on their boats. as much as i'd like to take credit, i havent sacked up to row the canyon yet, just paddled it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
It gets done a few times a season in a raft - more often in catarafts. Gore rapid can be a bit of a junk show - hard to make the crux move rowing due to the narrow channel - it's all about setting up and letting the water help you. It's a straight forward lining/portage spot - many commercial paddle trips portage/line it.

There are some big fish in Gore. A couple seasons ago a kayaker hit a solid 22" trout on the hear with his paddle, used his tow line to hook the gills, and paddled the fish to the take out. Some butter, sage and lime turned that into a hell of a meal.

Pearen and Wayniac have Catarafted it several times each. There was a guy rowing a green raft at gore this year along with a guy in a creature craft. They run a raft repair business. Good luck.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009   #4

I've taken a swim, I've lost rods, gear and am not afraid to do it again--perks of having a fly shop I guess. Colorado Skies Outfitters--thats us. I have always been about pushing the envelope and I really want to get some sweet video and film some sick stuff in Gore on the long rod.

There has to be some monsters in there. I know just wading in from pump, I have hooked bigger fish than I have in any other part of the C.

So...I'd really like to chat with someone who would be serious about doing some video, and throwing a piece together for the fly fishing film tour. I think it would be bad ass.
ColoradoSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSkies View Post
I'd like to film a fly fishing video in Gore.

Thoughts?
While I can appreciate pushing the envelope, I'll raise the very real possibility of lots of fishermen who can run Class III competently seeing the video and thinking they'll "just go in there like those guysin the video did" and get some of those monsters. Rapids never look as hairy on film as they do when you're actually on the side of the river looking at them.

Its not your responsibility to look after idiots getting into shit over their heads, but boaters down there will be putting themselves into additional danger rescuing them, dealing with wreckage of fishing rigs, etc.

It seems like if you really want to get into Gore or spend a night in there fishing to your heart's content, you could just as easily backpack in and do it - just remember to bring earplugs for the train noise at night.

That said, Zach (zbaird) could definitely hook you up with the talent to do it if he didn't go himself (you'd need to style him a sweet rod for his efforts). The result could definitely be some good publicity both of your shops, and an ready market for boat repairs and replacement gear.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
The result could definitely be some good publicity both of your shops, and an ready market for boat repairs and replacement gear.
Too true At the Gore race last year a boater, who I won't name, his flipped his cataraft at Gore Rapid. Sheared both oar locks off, totaled his DRE seat, lost oars and his boat was eventually recovered at the bottom of Pyrite after taking a beating. He is a veteran class V boater with several Gore runs under his belt. That had to generate $400 or $500 in repair/replacement costs. Just imagine how much fishing gear could have been destroyed in that flip.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote