Mountain Buzz banner

Rouge vs Grand Canyon at 15k ?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  cmharris 
#1 ·
Planning a kayak self support on the Rouge next week.
I have not run it before but just curious how the rapids compare to the grand canyon at similar levels?

#2 ·
The highest I have run the Rogue is 9k, at that level it was fun and fast. I have spoken with guides and ol' timers that say that above 10-12k, mule creek fills in and Blossom turns into a mess of holes.

At the same level the Rogue is much more dynamic than the Grand Canyon as the typical runable flow on the Rogue is 2-5k and when I ran the Canyon the lowest flow we had was 13k.

#4 ·
I think the OP's question was how does the Rogue compare to the Grand Canyon in regards to difficulty when the Grand Canyon is running at 15k. I do not believe he is suggesting that it is currently running at 15k or is projected to do so in the next week.

#5 ·
I've seen flows at 11k and 22k... Prepare yourself for three rapids at high water and all can be scouted. Rainie Falls is big but flushes and can be run away from the meat on the left. However, the left is the line and the fun way at high water IMO. Blossom Bar and Devil's Staircase are one huge continuance with large waves and a couple huge holes. There is still a big eddy river left above Devil's at 22k. Mule Creek Canyon is where I think it would be kinda crazy in a kayak. Lots of random boils and undercurrents. Nothing on the GC can prepare you for that mile. You can hear the boulders tumbling on the bottom.

#7 ·
Just got off the river.

It took us two days from Grants Pass to the Ocean at Gold Beach.
Found a nice local in Gold Beach to drive us and our two kayaks back up to the put in.

I would call the Rouge good flat water training for the grand.

Rainy falls was the only drop we scouted. Ran it left.

Blossom bar I ran left to right. My partner ran left and punched the holes on the lower left.

Mule creek was fun. Would not want to swim in their.

Sorry to miss lead yall on the flow part of the question. I did not mean exactly 15k, I was just hoping to get a comparison to the grand which I have run before. Thanks for posting beta.

#8 ·
Just got off the river.

It took us two days from Grants Pass to the Ocean at Gold Beach.
Found a nice local in Gold Beach to drive us and our two kayaks back up to the put in.

I would call the Rouge good flat water training for the grand.

Rainy falls was the only drop we scouted. Ran it left.

Blossom bar I ran left to right. My partner ran left and punched the holes on the lower left.

Mule creek was fun. Would not want to swim in their.

Sorry to miss lead yall on the flow part of the question. I did not mean exactly 15k, I was just hoping to get a comparison to the grand which I have run before. Thanks for posting beta.
Lower river levels bring out the animal in the river. The Grand and the Rogue are not even close. The Rouge may have caught up with the Grand for fatality's Glad you had Fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.