Room of Doom: Gauley - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-12-2005   #1

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Room of Doom: Gauley

Who's going to catch the "Room of Doom" at Pillow? It's not hard to do, just watch other boaters as they come down the run. If you are to the left of a distinct (imaginary) line, you automatically go into the room, whether you like it or not. The cool thing to do is to catch it on purpose then peal out and splatwheel the pillow.....good seal launches off the pillow rock as well.

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005   #2

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Is it really that easy? I surfed the pillow a few feet from the eddy fence last year and the Room didn't look easy to get into, but maybe it is if you go father left?

Anyone else going out this weekend? We're planning the Upper Yough on Friday, then the G, maybe Cheat or the Dries if Ophelia gets to WV at all.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #3

Geologist, Colorado
It is easier to do than you think....I watched several people go down the run before I went....of course this was my 4th Gauley season, so I had a good idea of what was going on. But when people go down, watch their line and see who goes in the room and who goes around the pillow....you will see some people going in the room that don't want to be there and others who catch it on purpose....then I would make predictions based on the outcome of other boaters until the theory works....the last time I ran pillow i did this then went to run the rapid....i didn't plan on catching the room but planned on coming really close to pillow but as i went down, i found myself left of that imaginary line and thought "i'm going into the ROOM!" So i just went with it and caught it...once you are in , you don't want to be there long...just long enough to be in there and peal out and try to bust a move! Try it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
It's not that easy to get into . You have to hit on the far left side like 1' away from a massive piton.

Scott

Wavesport Open 2nd place in the downriver race through Sweets Falls 04'
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #5

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We'll be at the Cheoah opening/ 1st release this Saturday, if anyone's making it out early for Gauley... NC should be getting some decent flows by the weekend if Ophelia ever decides to make landfall (forecasters are predicting Thurs).....

newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #6
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Gabe's move into the room is the sweetest.

Gabe hand paddles a super low cut shred. he mysteries into the wave above the pillow, vanishes, and surfaces in the room. then he peels around the corner and splats the pillow.

I don't understand how he fits a pair that big in a boat that small.

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #7

Geologist, Colorado
Check this vid out....two guys catching the room
http://localpaddler.com/popupvideo.php?resource_id=174
Old 09-13-2005   #8

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Hey Leland...

How was the rest of your trip this year. I think you were on your way West to Cali??? Are you going to be at Gauleyfest this year?

If so, I will be at the Jackson Kayak booth on Saturday night. Please be sure to stop by.

Hope the crawpacks worked out for you.

Craw
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #9

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by newby0616
We'll be at the Cheoah opening/ 1st release this Saturday, if anyone's making it out early for Gauley... NC should be getting some decent flows by the weekend if Ophelia ever decides to make landfall (forecasters are predicting Thurs).....

Cheoah is sweet! I showed up for my second season at NOC one year and fifteen minutes later, my bro was like - Cheoah is running, wanna go? No I'd rather sit on my butt like I did for the last 1700 miles...It was at 1000 and was an awesome welcome back to the SE. FYI It's shallow at the bottom of the flume right side of Big 'Un, under 3 feet maybe - watch your bracing 'cause you could hit a rock if you go deep. Can't see much in all that spray either. Hope you enjoy it. Green will also be running if you aren't going to WV. And if Ophelia gets there, go to Joyce Kilmer NF and hit the creeks there - Slickrock is still undone at the top of my wish list.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #10
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Craw-

used the pack on the East, and it worked great for me. Andria's back got too tweaked out from the travel and the paddling, so we headed home about a week after we got the packs from you.

we'll see you at gauley! look for me on the river:

white/green deck squirt with blue seams
yellow/blue h3 or i3
yellow/orange prelude canoe
or in a blue NRS raft.

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote