Rolling question (technique critique question) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-16-2004   #1

Rolling question (technique critique question)

I'm using a new topic because although common to other threads in this forum...a bit different.

I have been rolling with EJs method/leaning on my back deck, but last year, when I was showing a friend my roll, his comment was "That's a good roll, but not very safe, cause you're coming on the back deck and exposing more of your body/face/important parts..." I haven't had any problems so far with comming into contact with any objects in the river (apart from my head and the bottom...but that's what the helmet is for, right?), but wasn't sure of everyone's thoughts. IT seems like any kind of roll that gets you back upright is fine to do, but just wanted to make sure...

Comments?

Cheers,
RA

ringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2004   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
I bought the video and this is not the back deck roll. I cant see where EJ exposes his face with his roll any more than the std c to c. The real point is that if you master EJ's roll then you get your head out of the water and back to paddling quicker which is the easiest and best way to avoid hitting rocks with your noggin.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #3
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
sweep roll

I usually come up on my back deck cause I learned to roll in the old days, but you really aren't exposing anything because you are forward setting up while under water and don't get on the back deck until you are up. I've had a huge chip taken out of my helmet and bruised my shoulders, but have never hit my face. The best thing about it is you come up everytime.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2004   #4
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
sweep roll

I usually come up on my back deck cause I learned to roll in the old days, but you really aren't exposing anything because you are forward setting up while under water and don't get on the back deck until you are up. I've had a huge chip taken out of my helmet and bruised my shoulders, but have never hit my face. The best thing about it is you come up everytime.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #5

What if you miss your roll--a wave or eddy can cause that. As you go back down, you are fully exposed! Ouch!
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #6

steamboat, Colorado
A lot of people do it at concerts. Be sure not to drink too much water.
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #7

I've been working on my roll for a few years now (yeah, it's taking me awhile!). I FINALLY did 2 perfect "bomb-proof" back-to-back rolls last year 2nd week of April in the Gunny whitewater park. However, I have not been able to get my roll consistant since. I still swim A LOT!
My problem is that I cannot tell when my paddle is on top of the water in the position to execute the second half of the roll. I do try to do the "C-to-C sweep, move your upper body parallel to the paddle, then your head. . .but it seems that the only way I'm rolling these days is if I'm coming up off the bottom in an eddy.
Can someone invent a rolling maching for kayakers?
Withdrawn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have never been a fan of the back deck roll - just never seemed right. But I do agree what gets you up is good. I do the sweep roll and usually end with the forward moving low brace. This way you are always moving forward and in-touch with the water. If you work on your braces (high and low), learn to play in holes in the park eventually all will come together!

Peace

Glenn
glreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #9

yakgrrl101 go out , and buy EJ's roll & braces video. you wont regret it,I dont.
marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #10

Best Way to Fix a Roll in 1 Word....

Video. (of yourself)

It is easy for others to see what you are doing wrong, and tell you.
But it is immeasurably better to see for yourself what you are doing wrong.

Whatever type of roll you are trying to do...
Video yourself and compare it to the commercial roll videos, or compare it to what you see when others do good rolls, or simply compare it to what you think you are doing.

I shoot A LOT of video for my Kayaking Journal website. Last season my roll was getting funky on me after I had got good enough to stop thinking about it consciously. But then when I started missing a few rolls, I couldn't figure out why... until I looked at some video of myself and noticed I wasn't setting up like I thought I was.

Borrow a video camera. Go to a pool session. I think you will be amazed at the progress you can make when you actually know what you are doing and what you need to change.

There are several roll video clips linked from the bottom of this page on the Kayaking Section of Savage Snow. And more are on the way.
http://www.savagesnow.com/whitewater...ayak_roll.html
Dan Savage is offline   Reply With Quote